Queipo37

Design software for pattern making?

I use Carbide Create free version. It's actually for cnc machines but it has the option to save as svg so you can even import it into Lightburn for your laser.

3 hours ago, MikeRock said:

Dwight,

In GIMP is there a way to load a photograph, then do some contrast work and see only the edges?  The edges are the pattern.  I remember someone using 'some program' doing that.  HELP!

God bless

Yes you can, but it's been quit a while since I last did it.  I think TomE has the general process using the fuzzy selector or select by color, plus there are several tutorials available out on the web for how to do it.  I just did a quick google search for "gimp line art from photo" and it came back with a writeup along with a few video tutorials.  Might not hurt me to sit down and go through the process again just to re-familiarize myself with it.

/dwight

TomE and Dwight.

Thank you both.  I will open GIMP and see what I can do now.  I'm an old mechanical draftsman and use a very old copy of Vellum, 1995'ish.  Have to admit, even with all the K&E drafting stuff, digital IS a darn fine way to go.  Wish I had my old printer, it did B size format, 11"x17". 

God bless,

Mike

I still draw my patterns out on paper with a pencil (example in the image attached). That being said, once I have my patterns drawn up I usually use the computer scanner and Adobe Illustrator to convert my patterns to printable files for ease of storage and reprinting. Some patterns I use a lot then get transferred to either bag stiffener board or (soon, I hope) acrylic. I grew up with computers, know how to use multiple drafting software programs, and probably could do the whole thing on the laptop...but I actually enjoy drawing things out with an old-school drafting set. For complex designs having a mold/mannequin and a lot of extra paper or fabric helps depending on the project you're attempting to design.

287980316_3096991993895792_4811568704562145891_n.jpg

On 12/1/2022 at 7:24 PM, DJole said:

Inkscape is a free program that I have downloaded and installed, to help build vector-based patterns. Again, there is a learning curve involved, of course...

I would like to repeat DJole's recommendation. Inkscape is to Adobe Illustrator what GIMP is to Photoshop (i. e. vector graphics vs. image editing software...)

I draw my patterns the old-fashioned way, if we are talking about construction. The pictures for decoration  - which so far have been limited to borzois and an eagle head - are bought and printed.

Thanks, @DJole and @Klara for the tip about Inkscape for vector drawings.  Thinking about escaping the tyranny of the Adobe subscription.  I mainly use Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat and Lightroom from this expensive package.  Any recommendations for a less costly photo cataloging software?

On 11/29/2022 at 9:14 PM, Queipo37 said:

People who make their own complex patterns, what software do you use?  I know I could use AutoCAD to get it done but I don’t want to spend that kind of money.  Any other software with the functionality required for making accurate patterns?

corel.
easier, faster

I’ve been using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop for years and can’t get myself to start over on another platform. I used to make paper patterns but since, have converted them digitally with AI and either print the patterns out or cut them out on my laser when needed. If you can get yourself familiar with a free vector design program that will save you on a subscription fee.

Edited by Nikos69

I'm a embroidery digitizer as well as a leather worker.    I pull a image into my embroidery software sized it which can be done multiple ways. I then print to size and then use as a pattern.  If the product sells well I will then use the pattern to make a clicker die and cut product.   The image shows a center oval which can be difficult to cut cleanly, the clicker makes it easy to do precision work.

coin purse.gen