327fed

Cutting Table Alternatives

Not sure if this a tool or an accessory. My sewing-type green cutting mat is shot. Punched through it too many times. Is there a permanent building material type cutting surfacev I can use? The table has a 2 x 6 top and I take the cutting mat to another table sometimes to cut. 

You really cannot beat another self-healing mat. Anything else also gets cut up or blunts blades and needs replacing as well. If you shop around you can s-h mats quite cheaply. I just bought another A2 size for £8.50 (about $10?)

I used to do some cutting on a large piece of 6mm thick tempered glass. But that was heavy and it blunted blades pretty quickly. MDF or hardboard is cheap but gets sliced up quickly and needs replacing often

I go to thrift stores and good will. Occasionally you  can find them there. Otherwise, mywife is a quilter and use her hand me downs.

I wonder if this Uline product is the same stuff. No grid lines! But I don’t use that much anyway. 

https://www.uline.com/BL_2820/Workbench-Mats

I use a 4'x4'x1/4" sheet of HDPE on my cutting/layout table. I'm on my second sheet after 25 years...

I've thought of HDPE, I wonder if you could run a sander over it when it got rough.

2 hours ago, Cattledude said:

I use a 4'x4'x1/4" sheet of HDPE on my cutting/layout table. I'm on my second sheet after 25 years...

Is it something you can get at the big box stores or do you order at building stores, online ect.?

12 hours ago, 327fed said:

Punched through it too many times.

I'd buy another cutting mat and remember to not use it as a base for punching...

Good idea. What’s the best base for punching?

You can find HDPE from used kitchen equipment stores, But if you want to go with mats, JOANNS fabircs has them on sale 1/2 price pretty frequently if you have that kind of store. 

I have a rubber (I guess) poundo board I bought from tandy several years ago. I bought a new one last year,  but it is still sitting on the shelf. The old one still works. A lot of folks just use a thick piece of scrap leather. I actually have a punching/setting station set up. I got a knife block from good will, turned it around, drilled a bunch of holes in it, and that is where my hole, half round, corner,  snap and rivet setters, and a few other odds and ends sit. I have a piece of 6x12x1/2" steel next to ths poundo pad with a light over it. When I build a chest rig holster, I make several straps and connector pieces that need rivet and snap holes, the ends rounded,  etc. Then I have to put all that hardware in. I have a parts bin next to punches with rivets, snaps and Chicago screws I use. A piece of peg board above holds the belt loop punches,  screwdrivers, and a. Unch of other stuff that really need a better home. But, it is very nice to have it all in one place within arms reach. 

Edited by Hags
Spelling and content

11 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

Is it something you can get at the big box stores or do you order at building stores, online ect.?

McMaster Carr has HDPE in about any size you want .

https://www.mcmaster.com/hdpe/moisture-resistant-polyethylene-hdpe-sheets-bars-and-strips/

If you don't need a very large board, Walmart sells a three pack of HDPE cutting boards, one 11x15, one 8 1/2x 11, and one about 6 x 8. Less than $10. Work fine for smaller projects.

18 minutes ago, Charley1 said:

If you don't need a very large board, Walmart sells a three pack of HDPE cutting boards, one 11x15, one 8 1/2x 11, and one about 6 x 8. Less than $10. Work fine for smaller projects.

Do you know where as in online, office supplies, kitchen or the arts and craft depts?

I use a scrap piece of red oak under my leather when punching holes. It stand up to a lot of punching and won't damage the punch. Don't have a scrap? Go to Home Depot and buy a 1' piece of I x 4. It will last you a long, long time.

5 hours ago, Burkhardt said:

Do you know where as in online, office supplies, kitchen or the arts and craft depts?

Kitchen utensils and supplies.

Thanks everybody. Eventually I will get a permanent HDPE sheet for the table. I think in the meantime I will get a small  hard plastic  food cutting board for punching and ask my wife for the big cutting mat for Christmas. She makes the Joann’s/Hobby Lobby circuit and can find one on sale. Got plenty  of wood scrap too but I seem to punch twice on the same slot.

For punching I would recommend something softer than the HDPE. I recommend either rubber sole sheeting or LOW Density Polyethylene. End gran wood blocks work too. These are much more forgiving on your edges than HDPE. HDPE is brittle and can crack as well. 

I keep my cutting mats for cutting and when I need to use a hammer punch I do it on my wood blocks. Sometimes I'll put a piece of scrap leather between the blocks and the project

Punching block, 01s.jpg

I punch a bunch of my larger holes with fired .223, .243 and 30 cal. cartridge cases. So as these are disposable I don’t guess I need a soft punching  area for these.