Tim Schroeder

Drawing and Tooling

This is the side of a Tote Bag I'm making my daughter for Christmas. 

IMG_3379.JPG

IMG_3376.JPG

Nice work. I cannot draw even a stick figure. 

The design just flows perfectly. One lucky daughter will have a Merry Christmas. Thanks for sharing and have a great Christmas and Happy New Year!

Oof...that's very nice work! A great design and excellent tooling. 
She'd better love it. ;-)

Beautiful design and craftsmanship.  At first glance it appears symmetric then I see all the asymmetries as I look more closely.  Neat!

Oh boy!!  That is so clean :))

Lucky girl......

God bless

I can draw a stick figure, but I need a ruler. Dang, that's nice. You can be proud of that. I'm sure she will be.

Yeah, Tim and I may be at each other's throats over politics, but he does very nice work...

Tim, shortly after seeing this, I saw a post on FB that looked very similar, and wondered if someone was copying your work. I pulled them up side by side, and the difference in tooling made it very obvious which work was yours! 

I really can't post it here, as I don't have permission, but remember those tooling tips Stohlman used to do, showing good tooling vs. bad? The one on FB was the poster child for what not to do...:wacko:

i have looked at this for hours it seems. I'm awestruck! your tooling is fantastic.

Where did you get this awesome pattern, I want one

Great work.

I mean, if I were going to try to draw something for a tote, this is what I'd hope it would come out like!  Great skills.

Are we allowed to use your pattern?

Thanks everybody. Yes @YinTx. If anybody ever wants a copy of a tooling pattern I drew just let me know. I have every original drawing and a copy or two. I'll mail you a copy. Drawings are the toughest part. The flowers and inside of the circles are easy. It's those big blank spots outside around the circles. I used the Sheridan Style Carving book from Tandy when I first started drawing and then found Hidepounder on this forum. I bought his pattern drawing book too. His work is as good as anybody in the world.  I drew a wallet pattern and tooled one every day for 5 days looking at Hidepounders work trying to make it look like his. You eventually figure out how to make those tools do what your eyes see. There's still a couple of them in the scrap heap.  Still can't tool like him but getting better every time. I spent at least 6 or 7 hrs on that drawing and tooled it in about 9 hrs. 

IMG_3428.JPG

Dang that's nice lookin!!

Very cool

6 hours ago, Tim Schroeder said:

Thanks everybody. Yes @YinTx. If anybody ever wants a copy of a tooling pattern I drew just let me know. I have every original drawing and a copy or two. I'll mail you a copy. Drawings are the toughest part. The flowers and inside of the circles are easy. It's those big blank spots outside around the circles. I used the Sheridan Style Carving book from Tandy when I first started drawing and then found Hidepounder on this forum. I bought his pattern drawing book too. His work is as good as anybody in the world.  I drew a wallet pattern and tooled one every day for 5 days looking at Hidepounders work trying to make it look like his. You eventually figure out how to make those tools do what your eyes see. There's still a couple of them in the scrap heap.  Still can't tool like him but getting better every time. I spent at least 6 or 7 hrs on that drawing and tooled it in about 9 hrs. 

IMG_3428.JPG

WOW is my input. Color me jealous. I used to draw but essential tremors has taken that ability away even with medication. I can still do fairly well with a swivel knife but I am seriously slow. I don't know that I could have managed just the swivel cuts in 9 hours. Your daughter is a lucky person and should be VERY proud of that.

18 hours ago, Tim Schroeder said:

I spent at least 6 or 7 hrs on that drawing and tooled it in about 9 hrs. 

You draw faster than I, and tool faster as well.  I would really like to use that pattern, I do appreciate the permission, as I understand the amount of effort that goes into patterning.

12 hours ago, doubleh said:

I used to draw but essential tremors has taken that ability away even with medication.

I can empathize with your frustration.  I have a friend with essential tremors, interestingly a serving of alcohol when necessary helps him manage a bit better, but it is a difficult thing to work with regardless. 

On 2/20/2023 at 10:23 AM, Tim Schroeder said:

IMG_3428.JPG

WOW That looks great 

That looks amazing.