Brokenolmarine

Granddaughter's Christmas

My daughter called and said that the Granddaughter wanted a pouch just like her hand tooled pouch I made her to carry her epi-pen's in.  Jo has been stealing it to carry her phone and cash in when my daughter is using the red leather pouch.  The daughter said that I could use my imagination to create the design for the tooling and I spent a week or so playing with scrap leather, trying to come up with something... rejecting most of the ideas, then I saw a video using the serpentine stamp to make hearts.  The granddaughter is 16.  Hearts it is.

Slowly and surely I worked thru the process and knocked it out.  It's done except for waxing.... 

682682622_44Itsdone.thumb.jpg.04eb54ef4fded254d041646a4e2f3f30.jpg

Yup, I put the bling on the security strap.  SHE's a 16 year old girl.  I chose ruby red to go with the heart pattern. :P  I had tooled the 60" across the chest strap, and while rubbing in the mink oil, I kept feeling a hard spot.  I twisted the strap like a corkscrew, and found that there was a defect in the leather.  I had bought a side, and I pulled it back down and saw that there was a discoloration on the underside of the skin about 8" long, barely noticable.  When you flexed the side, you could feel a hardness, a scar of some sort.  I cut that 8" out and recut the strap.  I am remaking the 60" strap.  Since I am remaking the strap I am rethinking the tooling.  A little more intricate, but not carved.  Not that good at that yet.

That’s cool.  So many thing you can do with stamps.  

Since the project required a LOT of box stitching, I stitched the D-rings into place, and the strap by hand as well.

219566081_30dsewnfront.thumb.jpg.4af5a8d559cfa12c2d43c3ef3a53c179.jpg

Slow and sure to make sure the project lasts.  My granddaughter always appreciates what Grumpy makes for her.  Years ago, she asked that I make a cradle for her dolls.  I made each of the Grandchildren a pendulum cradle when they were born, but since they were 1200 miles away, her mom told me not to bother for her.  When she saw the cradle her cousin had, that's when she asked if Grumpy would make her's for her doll.

Her mother called and asked if I could possibly make her one for Christmas that year.  I had been saving a beautiful knotty pine board for years... and I put it to good use.  I down sized the pattern to fit the doll.  Miss Tina made the mattress, pads, sheets, and quilt for the mini-cradle and I paid the UPS store to pack and ship the whole shebang to OK from VA.  JO would point to the cradle and tell everyone "My Grumpy made that for me."  She was quick to remind her little friends: "You look with your EYES, NOT your hands."

1228998727_christmaspresentforgranddaughter.thumb.jpg.dc35e900c91c53904ba1364f06575b68.jpg

She still has the cradle ten years later in pristine condition, still displays an American Girl doll in the cradle, swapping the doll as the mood hits her.

I wanted the pouch to last as long as possible.  Nice to have someone appreciate your work, isn't it?

Both very nice and will be cherished for years to come !!!!!!

Sounds like the girl has the meaning of Semper Fi down pat!   Nice work, that heart trick is neat.

God bless

If anyone is interested in the technique let me know, I'll post it.

beautiful work !!! 

7 hours ago, Brokenolmarine said:

If anyone is interested in the technique let me know, I'll post it.

Yes,  I would be very interested.  My wife and I have 12 grandkids between us,  with 8 of them being girls.  I know that many of them would appreciate something like that.

/dwight

I will work up the pics tomorrow in the shop and post the how to HERE.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1eZFBwyHlHQ

A couple key points.  For a layout reference, you'll need very light vertical pencil lines 3/8" apart.

Once you start the subsequent rows, you'll have THREE points of reference to align the stamp:

The two diagonal corners on the stamp on the line...

A third corner touching the adjacent stamp forming the heart.

It's simple, if you are careful and take your time.

Practice on scrap and you'll catch on quickly...

Trying to freehand without the reference lines, is a trip thru frustration.  Ask me how I know.:censored2:

Edited by Brokenolmarine
Found the original instructional video

I struggled like mad trying to get the heart pattern from that stamp, well done!

Have been working on the new shoulder strap.  Played with the tooling design and settled on the layout.  I am using a squared basketweave stamp down the center in a single pass, and the same border as on the pouch.  I put some wording on the strap instead of her name.  "ALL" the grandkids call me the same thing.  "Grumpy."  Once we ordered the snap links for the end of the strap I knew the width and I could finish the ends... so I was able to dye, resist and antique the strap as well.  The snap links should be here by the 13th and I can sew them into the loops at the ends.  I am happy so far.

The new strap on the right, old on the left:

347759555_44NewStrap.thumb.jpg.72cf45458ff928ff1f3865174009590c.jpg

The end stepped down to one inch for the snap link:

257455868_46endtreatment.thumb.jpg.f405f96a660473f4f0445f8aa743455d.jpg

Before antiquing, I rubbed the entire strap down with mink oil to restore flexibility.  It had hardened up from the dying overnight.  Front, back and sides were all liberally coated and the mink oil rubbed/massaged into the leather. Then I buffed with a soft cloth.  Then... and only then, antiqued.

Antiquing the strap, note the lettering.  In lettering the strap I used a light center pencil line, and a small woodworking square to insure the placement of EACH letter before striking the stamp.  Slow and sure.

1867785922_47antique1.thumb.jpg.969268897312dd81db75d9e0a7e388b4.jpg

Edited by Brokenolmarine
Clarified the post...

In working the pattern, I made sure to rotate the Basketweave stamp between each strike.  To help insure this was done, I had marked the shaft of the stamp on four sides with the reference for the location of the orientation of the center accent line.  horizontal or vertical.  Forget to rotate ninety degrees and you throw off the entire effect.  Don't ask me how I know this. :dunno:

In addition, I set up that woodworking square for the offset reference from the side of the strap.  This insured that the spacing was as accurate as I could get it.  I checked, and rechecked placement before EACH strike.

I then was CAREFUL before the border stamps, so I didn't ruin the line of the edges.  I think it paid off.  Miss T pronounced the strap "Beautiful."  She is not free with compliments.  We have been married 30 years, she doesn't have to be. :no:

365725361_49antique3.thumb.jpg.21718a7db5a508f7054564205962eff9.jpg

Still have to burnish the edges and apply several coats of finish after the antique dries.  No rush.

After I finish the strap, I have to start on Miss T's Christmas Presents.  Two Knives, Two Sheaths, and a presentation box.  That will be a labor of love.

great insticts, with your mind to hands ideas. Lucky girl as receiver .