Hairic

Alternatives for leather? For design.

Just wondering if anyone has anything they use or thought about using other than leather when making/designing a concept. I find myself being way to protective of my leather and its hindering my creative side, to just be able to say screw it and make it, as we all know that when making a concept they don't always go to plan.  Obviously needs to be much cheaper than leather to make it worth it as well, I know vinyl is quite a bit cheaper and I'm sure would work in some cases, but others when I need the rigidness of the leather that wont work I don't think.  Any ideas?

Sometimes I use a vinyl and sometimes along with backing with stiffeners but having some cheap real leather is the best way to go. If you know that you are only using it for pattern work prototyping you can normally pick up  crappy leather that nobody wants to buy for a giveaway price. If he is close enough call @nstarleather or email him as I think he may be able to help nstarleather@shtc.net

I use upholstery vinyl. Only thing it is probably thinner than the leather you use and when you make it out of thicker leather it will be too small. 

i have used paper mache on a couple of holsters and sheathes. things you would wet form.

53 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

Sometimes I use a vinyl and sometimes along with backing with stiffeners but having some cheap real leather is the best way to go. If you know that you are only using it for pattern work prototyping you can normally pick up  crappy leather that nobody wants to buy for a giveaway price. If he is close enough call @nstarleather or email him as I think he may be able to help nstarleather@shtc.net

Yeah I got stuff I’d let go under $2 a foot or scrap by the pound if OP would like.

When I was unsure about the size and shape of my watch roll, I used cardboard which in this case worked perfectly. But mostly I consider all my pieces practice pieces and use cheap leather to do them. As I'm doing simple stuff, it generally works out.

craft paper or thinnest cardboard