Straycat62

Roller presser foot on a drop feed question

Hi, I am needing some help please and can't seem to find information anywhere (Leatherworker searches and watching Youtube videos)

I have installed a roller presser foot, single feed dog and corresponding needle plate onto a Juki 5550. This machine is intended to be a decorative stitcher/boot top stitcher and nothing more heavy than that, as I have a walking foot flatbed and cylinder arm Seikos. Looking at V30/V33? and V46 thread with nothing heavier than V69.

My question is- where should the lowest setting of the roller presser foot be? Should it sit directly on the feed dog when in sewing? Should there be any clearance?  I know can adjust it at the presser foot bar but I am just not sure what I am wanting as a end result. I am new to sewing and leathercrafting, so I am learning everyday.

Thanks in advance!

I've had roller foot machines and I always set the roller to make contact with the feed dog before I put the leather under it. You can adjust the foot pressure via the top pressure screw. If you set the roller above the plane of the feed dog, it may slip instead of rolling on top. If it slips the leather may lift up with the ascending needle and you may get skipped stitches. Because a roller foot only pushes down on one side, it must make hard contact with the material and be as close to the needle as possible without hitting it. A well built roller foot will roll in sync with the feed dog as it pulls on the bottom.

Awesome! Thank you Wiz, that exactly what I needed to know. @Wizcrafts  I love this forum for the assistance everyone gives. I said in my intro, I'm looking forward to a day I can pay it back after I've learned more. I cannot express how much knowledge I've gained from all of ya'll.