Klara

Watch Roll

As I hadn't found a single watch roll of this type when I was looking for tips on making one, here is mine.20221201_100909.jpg.aedc20df37aa064cbc6cc35170bb0da0.jpg

A basic roll is simple, but I wanted a pocket in the lid which complicated things:

20221201_100931.thumb.jpg.dfead9d19f6fe2e9a130a11849775223.jpg

The fabric is velvet from old IKEA curtains, the cushion stuffing washed, unspun wool, the sides an old yoga mat. 

Looks like a nice job, @Klara.  Hand stitched?

But what is a "watch roll"?  Does that case hold 4 watches, each in its own little space?  I don't quite see how watches will fit into the case, especially if they have different types of straps, some metal ones don't bend too well.  Do you have a photo with the watches in place?

Cheers!

@Tugadude - Thanks for that photo!  Much clearer to me now.  So the watches go around some kind of (fake wrist) object, and then that goes into the case between the separations.  Without having those fake wrist object in Klara's photo, I just didn't see how this would be used.

The pads take the place of the wrist and that's the best way to carry them because it prevents them from jostling around.  Also becoming popular among the watch aficionados is a pocket-style case.  That way you may carry multiple watches on your person without resorting to wearing one on each wrist ala Gen. Schwarzkopf.   

image.jpeg.07f9a4325fa88551b79e4ee904487515.jpegLeather Watch Pouch - Etsy

I suppose there's also times when you need to remove your watch for some reason.  Perhaps when doing something "messy" or potentially injurious to the watch and need a safe way to store it.

Edited by Tugadude

1 hour ago, MtlBiker said:

Without having those fake wrist object in Klara's photo, I just didn't see how this would be used.

In my roll the "fake wrist object" is the removable long blue cushion with the separations, which is not really recognizable as such in the picture, I admit. For  my case is much deeper than Tugadude's, because I wanted to make very sure that there would be no pressure on the watch glasses, even if the roll were squeezed in luggage and there were straps and a strap changing tool in the pocket.

I'll make more photos when the light is back! 

And yes, the leather is handstitched, I used the sewing machine only for stitching fabric to fabric. 

Regarding metal straps: In this case there is only space for two, one on each end. Because metal straps remain a closed loop that wouldn't fit over the separating cushions and other watches. Originally I wanted to make 4 separate little cushions that slide out of the separating walls, but that would have been a lot more complex. So I figured with a single watch with metal band in my "collection" (which will stay on my arm for the foreseeable future, as setting it was a PITA) a simple cushion would do.

Basically, a watch roll is a way to store and transport watches and a way for a leather worker to make something that's fairly easy (once figured out) and very interesting (to figure out). And very much worth the time and the leather, if one considers the prices of genuine leather watch rolls (the cheap ones are Chinese plastic).

Nice work, @Klara and @Tugadude.  It looks like that shape would be tricky to sew.  

Klara's tool roll has a nice feature that some might not have even noticed, I know because I didn't upon first glance.  The flap has a zipper and that allows for the storage of watch tools and also for additional straps.  Many like to change straps on their watches and now this allows you to store them safely within a protective pouch.  Very nice touch!

2 hours ago, Klara said:

In my roll the "fake wrist object" is the removable long blue cushion with the separations, which is not really recognizable as such in the picture, I admit. For  my case is much deeper than Tugadude's, because I wanted to make very sure that there would be no pressure on the watch glasses, even if the roll were squeezed in luggage and there were straps and a strap changing tool in the pocket.

I'll make more photos when the light is back! 

And yes, the leather is handstitched, I used the sewing machine only for stitching fabric to fabric. 

Regarding metal straps: In this case there is only space for two, one on each end. Because metal straps remain a closed loop that wouldn't fit over the separating cushions and other watches. Originally I wanted to make 4 separate little cushions that slide out of the separating walls, but that would have been a lot more complex. So I figured with a single watch with metal band in my "collection" (which will stay on my arm for the foreseeable future, as setting it was a PITA) a simple cushion would do.

Basically, a watch roll is a way to store and transport watches and a way for a leather worker to make something that's fairly easy (once figured out) and very interesting (to figure out). And very much worth the time and the leather, if one considers the prices of genuine leather watch rolls (the cheap ones are Chinese plastic).

its beautiful work and very unique i think I've never seen one in my life. You know i had no idea or really thought about folks using these or even carrying more than one watch. 

Nice work! 

a watch as an accessory to your dress style? Hummmm. I never thought of that.
I wear the same watch every day. But then I think of it as a tool. That’s why I don’t wear a fancy one.

I guess I’m behind the times again.:unsure::lol:

Still it’s a very nice case for your watches.

Joel

I carried a pocket watch for 45 years, finally gave it up when I started carrying a cell phone. Haven't carried a watch since. I hate anything around my wrists, won't even wear the wristband at the hospital. Third time I cut it off they figured out they were wasting their time.

Very nice work. :thumbsup:

I never have worn a watch in my life, never wore any type of bling on my body. I hate the feel of anything.

Edited by Bert03241

Full disclosure: I'm not really a watch enthusiast. It's a fascinating world into which I look pretty much from the outside, because I just don't want to carry thousands of Euros on my wrist. Also unlike many people, I am not convinced that a watch for € 10,000 is ten times better than one for € 1000.

However, I have worn a wristwatch all my life, from the time when I learnt to read the time. And I needed a new one, started looking and found the rabbit hole. But my "collection" is still very reasonable ad justifiable (the ones in the picture plus a Citizen solar quartz which lives in a clear plastic case near  the window. The Invicta on the left is the one I normally wear.)

20221209_093730.jpg.94b518ae6377fab8a541f2383a7c8c19.jpg

The following picture shows the problem with my full-width pocket: It's visible from the side (the edge on the leather isn't perfect either  - it's been too long since I made something).

20221209_094008.jpg.9fa1adef41ee3f3e6c54fea81b6cc23a.jpg

There's two obvious solutions ( @Tugadude if you want to make one): 1. Making the pocket narrower than the roll 2. No pocket in the lid, but using pipe insulation for the cushion and making the interior of the foam tube accessible. There's a commercial version of the latter, made by Wolf.

@TomE The shape is actually very easy: It's just a long rectangle that is wrapped around the side pieces. The tricky bit was finding a shape for the sides that would fit the cushion which I had made first. Most rolls are circular or oval, my cut-off circle is a consequence of my cushion.

For which I also have new ideas but if I made another roll I had to fill it ;)

That's when I miss working for sale. When I was spinning, knitting and weaving, I'd just make another one realising any new ideas I had while making the first. 

14 hours ago, GrampaJoel said:

Nice work! 

a watch as an accessory to your dress style? Hummmm. I never thought of that.
I wear the same watch every day. But then I think of it as a tool. That’s why I don’t wear a fancy one.

I guess I’m behind the times again.:unsure::lol:

Still it’s a very nice case for your watches.

Joel

I am a watch enthusiast, but an enthusiast on a budget.  The beauty of many of my hobbies is I can participate without breaking the bank.  I am also very fond of bicycles and have restored many older bikes, some of which have been sold to fund my hobby.  In fact, that's pretty much the deal I have with my lovely and patient wife.  I've figured a way to make the collecting of bicycles self-sustaining and not a drain on our funds.  I wish I could say the same about watches, but what I do is pick my spots and nearly always wait until a watch I want is on sale.  I don't own any really expensive watches nor do I feel the need to do so.  What I do have are ones that "speak" to me in a variety of ways and I enjoy them all.  I have beater watches and yes, dress watches that don't come out until I am attending a wedding or other formal occasion. 

As far as watches as an accessory to your dress style, that is something I've know about and pursued since way back in my college days.  I can remember many times when someone has stopped me an either complimented a watch of mine or commented on how it goes so well with my wardrobe.  Men typically don't have the same opportunity as women to "accessorize".  That isn't always the case, but in general I think it is true.  So some men take advantage of the opportunity watches provide.  Still others might wear a pinky ring with their family crest, or their initials.  And some men don't care to wear any jewelry at all.  Speaking of that, some view watches as merely tools, like GrampaJoel indicated he does.  And there's nothing wrong with that and there are some exceptional tool watches available for not a lot of money.  And to speak to another comment in this thread, no, a $10K watch isn't necessarily going to be any more accurate than a Walmart Timex.  In fact, the Timex is guaranteed to be more accurate as automatic and mechanical watches, no matter how well made can ever compete with the accuracy of quartz.  But the reason to own an automatic isn't for accuracy's sake.  It is because they are wonderful, amazing and even sometimes beautiful machines, machines which fit on your wrist and can do so many other things than just tell you the time.  I have my phone for that.  My watches serve other functions.  One of them reminds me of my great uncle who was killed in WWII.  It is a pilot's watch and he served in the Army's 8th Air Force in Europe, flying dozens of missions in a B-24 Liberator.  His plane was shot down over water and the entire crew of 10 perished in the icy sea.  When I wear it, I think of Norman and the sacrifice he made.  That's just one example.  There are other watches that are special to me for other reasons.

I'm not trying to talk anyone here into becoming a watch collector.  What I do hope is you maybe begin to appreciate the fact that not all "watch people" are snobs who lord it over others that they can afford to wear a Rolex.  Heck, Rolex is cheap compared to many brands out there such as Jaeger LeCoulture, Patek Philippe and others.  

For those who might be interested in seeing some really nice, value watches that don't set you back a lot of dough I recommend checking out Long Island Watch.  The owner, Marc, is a good guy and his Islander brand of watches are amazing values.  He carries other brands also, none of which approach the kind of money you have to fork over for a Rolex. 

Anyways, I just wanted to share some perspective from someone who loves leather and leatherwork and who also appreciates nice timepieces.  I hope it was helpful.

4 hours ago, Klara said:

Full disclosure: I'm not really a watch enthusiast. It's a fascinating world into which I look pretty much from the outside, because I just don't want to carry thousands of Euros on my wrist. Also unlike many people, I am not convinced that a watch for € 10,000 is ten times better than one for € 1000.

However, I have worn a wristwatch all my life, from the time when I learnt to read the time. And I needed a new one, started looking and found the rabbit hole. But my "collection" is still very reasonable ad justifiable (the ones in the picture plus a Citizen solar quartz which lives in a clear plastic case near  the window. The Invicta on the left is the one I normally wear.)

20221209_093730.jpg.94b518ae6377fab8a541f2383a7c8c19.jpg

The following picture shows the problem with my full-width pocket: It's visible from the side (the edge on the leather isn't perfect either  - it's been too long since I made something).

20221209_094008.jpg.9fa1adef41ee3f3e6c54fea81b6cc23a.jpg

There's two obvious solutions ( @Tugadude if you want to make one): 1. Making the pocket narrower than the roll 2. No pocket in the lid, but using pipe insulation for the cushion and making the interior of the foam tube accessible. There's a commercial version of the latter, made by Wolf.

@TomE The shape is actually very easy: It's just a long rectangle that is wrapped around the side pieces. The tricky bit was finding a shape for the sides that would fit the cushion which I had made first. Most rolls are circular or oval, my cut-off circle is a consequence of my cushion.

For which I also have new ideas but if I made another roll I had to fill it ;)

That's when I miss working for sale. When I was spinning, knitting and weaving, I'd just make another one realising any new ideas I had while making the first. 

Now, more than ever, it pays to pick your spots and to be very discerning as to when it is appropriate to wear a valuable watch.  And I'd go further and say the same about any precious jewelry, period.  Displaying such things in public used to be safe, but unfortunately they now can make you a target.  That's perhaps another reason to have a pouch you can slip your watch into when you find yourself in a situation which you feel warrants.

I stopped wearing a wrist watch after I went through electronics school in the Coast Guard.  They taught us that it wasn't exactly a good idea to be reaching into a cabinet full of electrical equipment with conductive material on your wrist or hands (no rings either).  Instead I picked up a fairly inexpensive pocket watch and made a leather pouch for it to hang off my belt.  When I got married a few years later, my new bride gave me a rather nicer watch that I carried in that same pouch for several years.  I still have both the watch and the pouch, but they are showing their age.  The pouch is missing the snap from the closing flap and the watch is in serious need of polishing and repair.  I may have to resurrect them both one of these days.

When I got married again, my second wife gave me a belt-clip watch on a leather fob.  I had never seen one like this before and she told me that her first husband always wore this style of watch because wrist watches wouldn't work for him.  As in they would just stop working.  Apparently he claimed that it was because of his natural magnetism.

I've never exactly been a watch enthusiast, but I will admit to a fascination with how they work, and an admiration for the watchmakers that can keep them working.  Being able to work on those tiny components is an art that is way beyond my abilities.

/dwight

2 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Now, more than ever, it pays to pick your spots and to be very discerning as to when it is appropriate to wear a valuable watch.  And I'd go further and say the same about any precious jewelry, period.  Displaying such things in public used to be safe, but unfortunately they now can make you a target.  That's perhaps another reason to have a pouch you can slip your watch into when you find yourself in a situation which you feel warrants.

Wow, now I am seriously glad that I don't live wherever you do... 

I am unwilling to wear an expensive watch because I'd be afraid to damage or lose it. And because I haven't seen one that I absolutely had to have, and there is exactly no point in buying a watch to impress others, because they won't notice (the only people I need to impress are dog show judges).

3 hours ago, Tugadude said:

I am a watch enthusiast, but an enthusiast on a budget.  The beauty of many of my hobbies is I can participate without breaking the bank.  I am also very fond of bicycles and have restored many older bikes, some of which have been sold to fund my hobby.  In fact, that's pretty much the deal I have with my lovely and patient wife.  I've figured a way to make the collecting of bicycles self-sustaining and not a drain on our funds.  I wish I could say the same about watches, but what I do is pick my spots and nearly always wait until a watch I want is on sale.  I don't own any really expensive watches nor do I feel the need to do so.  What I do have are ones that "speak" to me in a variety of ways and I enjoy them all.  I have beater watches and yes, dress watches that don't come out until I am attending a wedding or other formal occasion. 

As far as watches as an accessory to your dress style, that is something I've know about and pursued since way back in my college days.  I can remember many times when someone has stopped me an either complimented a watch of mine or commented on how it goes so well with my wardrobe.  Men typically don't have the same opportunity as women to "accessorize".  That isn't always the case, but in general I think it is true.  So some men take advantage of the opportunity watches provide.  Still others might wear a pinky ring with their family crest, or their initials.  And some men don't care to wear any jewelry at all.  Speaking of that, some view watches as merely tools, like GrampaJoel indicated he does.  And there's nothing wrong with that and there are some exceptional tool watches available for not a lot of money.  And to speak to another comment in this thread, no, a $10K watch isn't necessarily going to be any more accurate than a Walmart Timex.  In fact, the Timex is guaranteed to be more accurate as automatic and mechanical watches, no matter how well made can ever compete with the accuracy of quartz.  But the reason to own an automatic isn't for accuracy's sake.  It is because they are wonderful, amazing and even sometimes beautiful machines, machines which fit on your wrist and can do so many other things than just tell you the time.  I have my phone for that.  My watches serve other functions.  One of them reminds me of my great uncle who was killed in WWII.  It is a pilot's watch and he served in the Army's 8th Air Force in Europe, flying dozens of missions in a B-24 Liberator.  His plane was shot down over water and the entire crew of 10 perished in the icy sea.  When I wear it, I think of Norman and the sacrifice he made.  That's just one example.  There are other watches that are special to me for other reasons.

I'm not trying to talk anyone here into becoming a watch collector.  What I do hope is you maybe begin to appreciate the fact that not all "watch people" are snobs who lord it over others that they can afford to wear a Rolex.  Heck, Rolex is cheap compared to many brands out there such as Jaeger LeCoulture, Patek Philippe and others.  

For those who might be interested in seeing some really nice, value watches that don't set you back a lot of dough I recommend checking out Long Island Watch.  The owner, Marc, is a good guy and his Islander brand of watches are amazing values.  He carries other brands also, none of which approach the kind of money you have to fork over for a Rolex. 

Anyways, I just wanted to share some perspective from someone who loves leather and leatherwork and who also appreciates nice timepieces.  I hope it was helpful.

i love the history of watches and the expertise it used to take to make them, like sewing machines they were one of the great drivers of the machine age for sure!! They remain a wonderment for me as their tiny little mechanisms seem almost magic. I haven't wore or owned a working one for years lol, since i retired. We still have my dads service watch, 7 jewels i think  and radioactive glo in the dark hands and all, it is only right twice a day however.

7 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

i love the history of watches and the expertise it used to take to make them, like sewing machines they were one of the great drivers of the machine age for sure!! They remain a wonderment for me as their tiny little mechanisms seem almost magic. I haven't wore or owned a working one for years lol, since i retired. We still have my dads service watch, 7 jewels i think  and radioactive glo in the dark hands and all, it is only right twice a day however.

There's a guy on youtube whose channel is called wristwatch revival.  He takes timepieces just like you father's and puts them back into running order.  He is amazing.  I have no doubt that he or someone like him could get that wonderful piece ticking again.

I watch his videos just to see him work.  It is amazing, not unlike watching a really talented leatherworker in fact!

2 hours ago, DwightT said:

I stopped wearing a wrist watch after I went through electronics school in the Coast Guard.  They taught us that it wasn't exactly a good idea to be reaching into a cabinet full of electrical equipment with conductive material on your wrist or hands (no rings either).  Instead I picked up a fairly inexpensive pocket watch and made a leather pouch for it to hang off my belt.  When I got married a few years later, my new bride gave me a rather nicer watch that I carried in that same pouch for several years.  I still have both the watch and the pouch, but they are showing their age.  The pouch is missing the snap from the closing flap and the watch is in serious need of polishing and repair.  I may have to resurrect them both one of these days.

When I got married again, my second wife gave me a belt-clip watch on a leather fob.  I had never seen one like this before and she told me that her first husband always wore this style of watch because wrist watches wouldn't work for him.  As in they would just stop working.  Apparently he claimed that it was because of his natural magnetism.

I've never exactly been a watch enthusiast, but I will admit to a fascination with how they work, and an admiration for the watchmakers that can keep them working.  Being able to work on those tiny components is an art that is way beyond my abilities.

/dwight

You may be interested to know that the first wrist watches were actually pocket watches, smaller ones, to which they soldered brackets so that a strap could be attached.  So you were simply wearing a pocket watch on your wrist.  It is also a fact apparently that women were the first to really popularize wearing watches on their wrists.  It didn't become fashionable for men until WWI, and it wasn't because of fashion, but being able to quickly and conveniently checking the time.

I'd love to see you getting the old pocket watch or watches running again.  Probably not a big deal, just a basic service probably is all that is required.  Thanks for sharing your story.

1 hour ago, Klara said:

Wow, now I am seriously glad that I don't live wherever you do... 

I am unwilling to wear an expensive watch because I'd be afraid to damage or lose it. And because I haven't seen one that I absolutely had to have, and there is exactly no point in buying a watch to impress others, because they won't notice (the only people I need to impress are dog show judges).

I won't debate the relative safety of the world except to say that last time I checked nobody has a monopoly on thieves.  They are everywhere and the less we attract them, the better we are for it.  That's all I am trying to say.  

I too used to use a pocket watch. Started using one in RAF. Working around engines et cetera a wristwatch was a no-no. My last pocket watch was wrecked by a customs official who took it apart looking for drugs. Fortunately it was only a $15 watch and not one of my better ones. I'm using a self-winding wrist watch these days as I can't find a decent daily-user pocket watch

3 hours ago, DwightT said:

. . .

because wrist watches wouldn't work for him.  As in they would just stop working.  Apparently he claimed that it was because of his natural magnetism.

My #2 son is like that. Watches stop working when they are on him, but will work away from him. Also, he can fry a computer chip by just putting a finger close to a computer. He has to switch it on using a pencil with an eraser on the end