JayB

Advice on a Reichsrevolver holster

Good evening.  I bought this original holster for my Reichsrevolver enlisted model.  Now that I have it in my possession, I am not to sure how to proceed.  

The flap has separated from the holster.  The big issue is the condition of the flap compared to the holster itself.  The flap is numbered so I would prefer to keep it BUT am also considering replacing the flap completely.

I would appreciate some input on this.  I can do the stitching.  But have never cut a piece of leather and attempted to make a replacement flap.

3CF2CB42-536D-4BC8-BB3F-B9F5C79C5550.jpeg

27FCECC2-2EEF-4DC5-AA22-036E91B30AF2.jpeg

With not knowing what you plan to do with, I would start with oiling it and use a conditioner. Being that they're numbered I would keep them as one but if you plan on using it I still would oil and condition the top and keep it so you have all the original pieces.

If you want to preserve the numbers cut then out and sew them in to a replacement flap.

Wow what a wonderful firearm and holster!!! First question are you going to use it or fix it just for show?

Some choices, keep it a collectable which means don't mess with it or you will ruin any collectors value. Or repair to use it. That being said you can also copy the pattern without damaging it and build a complete new one or you can repair the flap and enjoy it as is. 

Here's is the deal with collectability, its damaged so its not pristine so its not as "collectable" as one that is pristine but it is still over 100 yrs old.   What will you lose by repairing it compared to building a new one and saving this one.

If you do repair it so you can carry it also have the holster loop replaced as it is very important to have good leather there and your holster is over 100 years old so there may be some issues such as dry rot. it could be that rot will make your leather tear at the old stitch line when you try to re-sew it there, something to think about.

Personally i would build, or have one made, a whole new copy and leave that old leather just like it is or you are going to end up with a modified holster that is still over 100 years old so no collectors value and not  good leather either.

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

Wow what a wonderful firearm and holster!!! First question are you going to use it or fix it just for show?

Some choices, keep it a collectable which means don't mess with it or you will ruin any collectors value. Or repair to use it. That being said you can also copy the pattern without damaging it and build a complete new one or you can repair the flap and enjoy it as is. 

Here's is the deal with collectability, its damaged so its not pristine so its not as "collectable" as one that is pristine but it is still over 100 yrs old.   What will you lose by repairing it compared to building a new one and saving this one.

If you do repair it so you can carry it also have the holster loop replaced as it is very important to have good leather there and your holster is over 100 years old so there may be some issues such as dry rot. it could be that rot will make your leather tear at the old stitch line when you try to re-sew it there, something to think about.

Personally i would build, or have one made, a whole new copy and leave that old leather just like it is or you are going to end up with a modified holster that is still over 100 years old so no collectors value and not  good leather either.

Agree completely. Make a copy to use, keep the original untouched, even given its condition.

I am with chuck and Charley.. If I wanted to carry the gun I would build a new holster and artificially age it. Save the old holster in case you decide to sell everything at a later date.

Edited by doubleh

Thanks gentlemen.  The goal is not to carry it, but to have a functioning holster for display.  I have holsters for most of my collection.  Japanese Nambu’s have high value.  This one does not.

I would prefer to have a replacement flap made which I could see into the holster itself.  

The flap itself has deteriorated much more than the holster itself.  That surprises me.

Can it be fixed?  Probably not.  Being a novice in the leather world, where would I start to obtain a new “flap” piece, cut to match, and color match?  I’ll keep the original flap separately.

The way I see it, the holster would be functional enough for display if you sewed the flap back on. Yes, the edges would be uneven (there is a German expression "der Zahn der Zeit" - literally the tooth of time - but I'd suspect mice. Or could the leather have dried out and become brittle and pieces broken off? In any case, wear is to be expected after a hundred years) but if you can get the leather supple enough you can still open and close the flap. That's all that is required for "display functionality", isn't it? Any viewer can imagine what the flap looked like when the edges were smooth and even.

It's also the easiest and quickest solutions: Pull out the old thread, sew with new one.

Otherwise it's down the rabbit hole of leather work: Finding and buying leather, learning to cut, condition and age it, removing the "keyhole hardware" (no idea what it's correctly called) from the old piece and putting it on the new one (that looks the most difficult part to me) and sewing the new flap on. Certainly an interesting project  - if you want to do it. Your choice.

22 hours ago, JayB said:

Thanks gentlemen.  The goal is not to carry it, but to have a functioning holster for display.  I have holsters for most of my collection.  Japanese Nambu’s have high value.  This one does not.

I would prefer to have a replacement flap made which I could see into the holster itself.  

The flap itself has deteriorated much more than the holster itself.  That surprises me.

Can it be fixed?  Probably not.  Being a novice in the leather world, where would I start to obtain a new “flap” piece, cut to match, and color match?  I’ll keep the original flap separately.

i would look for leather craftspeople in your area that could cut and dye it for you. you will also have to find rivets to replace the brass thingy. 

You will never match the color of a new leather piece to the old. The value of the holster is zero.  Don’t spend money on a holster that you can not sell and recoup your funds. Go buy another holster

do you need any magazines?  

As you want the holster for display; the way museum conservators would do it here would be

1. sew the flap back on and fix up any other stitching with a thread which matches the original

2. use a non-chemical bonding adhesive to stick something like acid free board / card or lightweight leather to the flap

3. cut that card / leather to the shape the original flap would have been

Note; the card or leather is not dyed or coloured to match it in but is actually of a contrasting colour to show it

4. have a new copy of the holster made to put along side the original. The new holster can have the firearm partially inserted

Your biggest problem is getting one of those special flap closures to put on a copy holster

Thanks again for all the replies.  While I had grandiose ideas of replacing the flap, I’ll re sew the original back on and support it if needed.  

Great suggestions from all of you.  I’ll get my 1879 Reichsrevolver paired up with a repaired holster this holiday season.