Brooks125

Best Student Gift EVER!

I must start by pointing out I DID NOT MAKE THIS.  I do leather work, but I'm on the machine stitched gun leather end of the spectrum.  I am a DARE/SRO at our local schools and have interaction with students.  In the course of doing gun leather, I end up with a lot of scrap with rough back sides that I don't use on my items.  I asked one of the art teachers if they have any students that want to work with leather.  She said she did have one in particular that worked with an aunt who encouraged her creativity.  I may give he 10-20 sq feet in a few pieces at times.  Most stuff is a couple feet of veg tan and few exotics or chrome tan.  When I came into the office today, the secretaries made sure I went right back to check my chair.  To my surprise, there sits Bender in all his glory!  I ... was ... floored!  He stands about 28" tall (I didn't measure) and he will be with me as long as I'm at the schools.  If you're into this type of work, get your patterns, keep making items and share your craft.  IT IS COOL!  (By the way - I like to pun of him being a "leather Bander")

20221209_121355.jpg

That is phenomenal! This young lady has some amazing talent and should be encouraged to explore it at every opportunity.  Good for you for giving her that encouragement.

/dwight

Thats really cool congrats to the artist:You_Rock_Emoticon::thumbsup: and lucky you the receiver 

Definitely some talent there :thumbsup:

Outstanding.  It's a representation of the relationship you have with the students that you come in to find Bender waiting.

Nice gift there :)

BTW: ihe pattern can be got from Leather Hub

very cool !

I like it.

As a fan of Futurama and a leather crafter.. I have to say, that is just too freaking cool!!! That young lady is talented without a doubt. On a side note, it's great that you have that kind of relationship with the students. They obviously have respect for you. Having family and friends in LE I know it's not an easy job.

Nice gift, meatbag!

On 12/9/2022 at 6:03 PM, Brooks125 said:

I must start by pointing out I DID NOT MAKE THIS.  I do leather work, but I'm on the machine stitched gun leather end of the spectrum.  I am a DARE/SRO at our local schools and have interaction with students.  In the course of doing gun leather, I end up with a lot of scrap with rough back sides that I don't use on my items.  I asked one of the art teachers if they have any students that want to work with leather.  She said she did have one in particular that worked with an aunt who encouraged her creativity.  I may give he 10-20 sq feet in a few pieces at times.  Most stuff is a couple feet of veg tan and few exotics or chrome tan.  When I came into the office today, the secretaries made sure I went right back to check my chair.  To my surprise, there sits Bender in all his glory!  I ... was ... floored!  He stands about 28" tall (I didn't measure) and he will be with me as long as I'm at the schools.  If you're into this type of work, get your patterns, keep making items and share your craft.  IT IS COOL!  (By the way - I like to pun of him being a "leather Bander")

20221209_121355.jpg

MOST EXCELLENT!!  
what a prize.

someone has honored you.

You need to see if she can make the Robot Devil, from the "Fairness in Hell" Act of 2275. He and Bender would be a great pair.

That's off the hook!  WOW!!  I'd say that student's talent is way up there!

Thank you for your service as an SRO. 

On 12/10/2022 at 4:03 AM, Brooks125 said:

20221209_121355.jpg

amazing work, how much time were spent on this...?

On 8/3/2023 at 4:31 PM, reinajk30 said:

amazing work, how much time were spent on this...?

I don't know how much time was spent, and I know there is a pattern that can be bought.  The thought and effort was the biggest surprise.  As a "machine" guy, I appreciate the hand work people put into leather projects.