Theonlyone325

Vacuum molding while it's raining outside

I was curious if it would take longer to do forming with a vacuum when the weather is wet and raining outside? What are y'all's experiences or opinions on the subject? I have done several Google searches and came up with nothing...I know paint takes longer to dry in this situation and was wanting to know about how it affects the forming process...thanks

I was just doing some wet moulding, but not using a vac bag

Up to a few days, a week, ago or so the pieces were drying out quite fast, about 2 hours, but once the rain started and the humidity level went up I was looking at 8 hours to dry. No change to the heat levels in my place. But I've had to put the last 3 items in front of a blow heater to speed up some drying

Therefore, I would think that it would be the same using a vac bag. Slower drying time

You know that is a good question.  I don't vacuum form but I would think since you remove the air that any additional humidity  wouldn't come into play , but the fact is I don't know . Will be interested to watch this one  .

10 hours ago, Theonlyone325 said:

I was curious if it would take longer to do forming with a vacuum when the weather is wet and raining outside? What are y'all's experiences or opinions on the subject? I have done several Google searches and came up with nothing...I know paint takes longer to dry in this situation and was wanting to know about how it affects the forming process...thanks

I was curious if it would take longer to do forming with a vacuum when the weather is wet and raining outside?

Two words . . . it doesn't. . . . unless of course you are outdoors . . . then it might.

When it is below zero . . . the formed leather dries out faster . . . simply because the moisture in it does not have to compete with humidity . . . it just jumps out.

That is the only feature I've ever noticed . . . and that's kind like the question of how bald are your tires at 150 thousand miles . . . vs 155 thousand miles.  

Seriously . . . don't give it a thought.

May God bless,

Dwight

I dunno how youse lot use a vac bag or how it works for you

When I use one the leather never dries inside the bag. I have to periodically change the air in the bag; open the bag, allow room air in and then re-seal the bag and suck that air out. If I replace the air in the bag with dry air eventually the leather starts to dry, but if I replace with humid air, ie air when its raining, the leather is slower in drying

2 hours ago, fredk said:

I dunno how youse lot use a vac bag or how it works for you

I use the vacuum bag to form the object . . . pull it out of the bag . . . put the bag and pump away . . . hang up the object to dry in the form I gave it.

Really simple stuff.

May God bless,

Dwight

Ditto Dwight. I usually put the wet holster under the hair dryer on low for 15-20 minutes in between hand molding after taking it out of the bag. Rain just doesn't factor for me.

On 12/10/2022 at 4:20 PM, Theonlyone325 said:

in a room, a paint/stain/dye will dry faster than a wet piece of leather

using a vacuum for wet forming will increase drying process, no matter the weather outside shiny or rainy