kuchars22

How do I achieve this type of stitch?

Hi all,

I'm trying to imitate this style of stitch for a camera strap. It looks like it only loops over the edge a few times - how is this done and how to finish a tidy and invisible knot(s)

Thanks

Special Edition Rock 'n Roll Strap Review

We've had this question come up a number of times.  Seems to me the thread loops around one side, then is passed in-between the two layers of leather and then loops around the other side and then is tucked in-between the leather to finish.  That results in no thread ends anywhere in sight.  The "original end" of the thread is also tucked in-between the layers of leather to hide and secure it.  

Edited by Tugadude

58 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

We've had this question come up a number of times.  Seems to me the thread loops around one side, then is passed in-between the two layers of leather and then loops around the other side and then is tucked in-between the leather to finish.  That results in no thread ends anywhere in sight.  The "original end" of the thread is also tucked in-between the layers of leather to hide and secure it.  

Do you mean that 2 corners (at the same end) are done as a single thread at a time, rather than 4x single stitches (like a figure-of-eight if seen as a cross-section)?

1 hour ago, Tugadude said:

I don't do this type of stitching, apart from one  occasion when I played around on scrap just to see how it was done. I ended up doing it more or less as described by Tugadude

24 minutes ago, kuchars22 said:

Do you mean that 2 corners (at the same end) are done as a single thread at a time, rather than 4x single stitches (like a figure-of-eight if seen as a cross-section)?

Yes, loop as many times as you desire, pass the thread to the opposite side inside of the leather and then do the same number of loops on that side.  Finish by tucking both loose ends in-between the leather.  The glue should keep them anchored in place.  There really isn't much stress being put on these stitches.  So they will likely remain taut.

Edited by Tugadude

7 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Yes, loop as many times as you desire, pass the thread to the opposite side inside of the leather and then do the same number of loops on that side.  Finish by tucking both loose ends in-between the leather.  The glue should keep them anchored in place.  There really isn't much stress being put on these stitches.  So they will likely remain taught.

Thank you - the problem is that I've already glued, edge-dyed and burnished the return piece, but luckily this is just a practice project. But at least I know for next time. Thanks once again

Use a scalpel to cut open a slot where the stitches will be, They will cover the slot. Then use a curved sewing needle to sew the loops. Leave the end on the outside. Lay it parallel to the sides of the strap. Sew some loops over that end to hide it and hold it. Sew more loops. On the final loop bring the needle up between the leathers and out through the slot, in between some of the loop threads. Trim close and maybe apply a small spot of glue to the end