OfExile

1st-Time Machine Inspecting JUKI LS-1341

Hello Leatherworkers, 

After many hours searching through this forum, I was wondering if there was a type of checklist or red flags to look at when inspecting a used machine for purchase. I am heading to So Cal to look at a used Juki LS-1341 for 1900-2000 USD. I plan on bringing a couple of unfinished pieces to see how it handles my intended projects. Weekenders/gusseted laptop bags/totes (no more than 7mm of material). Thanks to @RockyAussie for his videos about making sure its a pedestal stand for the type of work I would like to do (part of the reason why I am not going for Techsew). I am not sure if there is a way to determine if it is an authentic Juki. The place has sold similar/exact machines through ebay, facebook marketplace, has its own website, and is a registered CA business, but I would like some insight if there are some major things I should be looking for regardless. I have seen a thread here about some of this but not necessarily about determining authenticity. Sorry @Wizcrafts if this should be a separate topic, but part of me feels that if something were to not pan out exactly that I would be underestimating the value/convince of the tech support some of the other places provide. I just have been less than enthused with online communications with some other suppliers (ts was great though) which if there was a problem, would be the primary way I would communicate any issues. Thanks to all in advance!

50 minutes ago, OfExile said:

I am heading to So Cal to look at a used Juki LS-1341 for 1900-2000 USD.

The price to me seems a bit high but that will depend on your area. In Ontario, Canada a used Juki LS-1341 usually go for about $1500 CAD or approximately $1100 USD complete with servo motor and table. A couple of things to look for:

i) is there grooves cut into the thread guides which will indicate a lot of use.

ii) paint worn off the body and amount of wear on the foot pedals and frame as well condition of table.

iii) check to make sure the built in bobbin winder works properly.

iv) the machine should not have any unusual sounds like banging / rattling.

vi) the machine should have no slop in the needle bar or other shafts.

vii) the machine should sound and feel smooth both when handwheeled over and when running under power.

viii) tip the machine and look at the drive belt and all the bearing surfaces for wear / heat discoloration.

ix) the original handwheel should be gray in color

x) a Juki LS-1341 should have the name " JUKI "in blue above the reverse handle and the permanently attached nameplate / serial number / model number to the left of the stitch length dial.

If the machine looks like it was rode hard and put out wet I would pass. A picture of the listing may help to spot other things.

kgg

Thanks @kgg I have seen your posts and others from canada quoting that price range. I have went through the archive here where someone sold a 1341 for 2200 around 2014. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2394120500737224 is the posting on FB marketplace. I haven't seen much online on listings for used 1341s to get an accurate picture  to compare against Canada. I dont know any industrial sewing places in NorCal to take a look. Is there a particular reason why they are so low when new would be +5k and other 341 clones sell for more such as TS, CB, Cobra percentage wise? 

3 minutes ago, OfExile said:

I haven't seen much online on listings for used 1341s to get an accurate picture  to compare against Canada.

Most of the ones that you see for sale on the used market have been used in an industrial setting so probably seen a lot of use which would be reflected in the price. The one you reference appears to be in really good condition with little use. That one if it as good as it shown it's worth the price in my mind.

5 minutes ago, OfExile said:

Is there a particular reason why they are so low when new would be +5k and other 341 clones sell for more such as TS, CB, Cobra percentage wise? 

The Juki LS-1341 is the original and are made in Japan with a hefty engineering, manufacturing, advertisement and quality cost attached which is reflected in the new purchase price. Clones are typically out of China or Taiwan. There are a lot of clones, some are good while others not so much.

kgg

@kgg one more question if you have the knowledge, is there a certain convention for juki serial numbers- as in all numbers, or starts/ ends with certain letters. 

There’s nothing wrong with paying top dollar for a good machine, but be careful because it could have much more wear than the exterior condition would suggest.

It has a new table and perhaps a few new bits to make it appear younger than it is.   If it was used in an industrial setting it could have had something like a binding setup that could protect the finish from obvious wear and tear, but it could have been going full speed three shifts a day 365 days of the year.  

If you’re new to inspecting machines it would be time well spent to look at a few slightly used machines to see normal light wear on things like needle and walking foot bars, thread guides, etc.   Since you’re buying it from a dealer I wouldn’t go by how clean it appears since they most likely have cleaned it.

I always bring along a good strong flashlight and look very closely at every inch that can be accessed for small cracks or anything that looks out of place.   Take off inspection covers - it’s not a bad idea to download the owners manual to see how things come apart, what good adjustments should look like, and what’s where.   Juki has very good manuals.   Even if it sews, I’d want to look at the hook and needle timing and gap, not to mention the condition of the hook.   If it needs adjustment you’ll want them to fix it now.

Finally, I always remind myself that there is nothing special about any given machine  - if anything seems odd on a top dollar deal it’s better to walk away and another will pop up soon.   The flip side of that is there’s nothing wrong with a machine that’s done some production work and is still in usable condition - but you wouldn’t want to pay near-new prices for it.

It’s always fun looking at a potential purchase!  Have fun and good luck!

2 hours ago, OfExile said:

one more question if you have the knowledge, is there a certain convention for juki serial numbers- as in all numbers, or starts/ ends with certain letters. 

I honesty don't know. I've never dove into that aspect.

kgg

@DonInReno thank you for your advice! I have already downloaded the guides (engineer ((thanks and regular manual), I suppose now its time to dive into youtube repair videos to get some idea. Although I have no idea how/where I would inspect any lightly used machines.

@kgg just curious is all. Thanks!

11 hours ago, OfExile said:

Although I have no idea how/where I would inspect any lightly used machines.

Make a trip to a sewing machine repair / sales shop.

kgg