Sign in to follow this  
AA3JW

Leather knife handle

Just a quick question. I am getting ready to make a stacked leather handle for a knife. What thickness would be a good leather to use?

2 hours ago, AA3JW said:

Just a quick question. I am getting ready to make a stacked leather handle for a knife. What thickness would be a good leather to use?

10 oz or the thickest you can get. I made one about a month ago. 

I have only made one and many years ag. I used what I had laying around. It was 8-9 oz. as I was a western belt maker at the time. I still have the knife and the handle is still good although it has only seen little use. The thicker the leather the fewer washers you have to cut. ;)

Edited by doubleh

Thanks for the answers. That was about what I expected. Off to ace hardware to see what the biggest hole punch they have is.

1 hour ago, AA3JW said:

Thanks for the answers. That was about what I expected. Off to ace hardware to see what the biggest hole punch they have is.

you dont need a big punch if if your tang is rectangle punch two holes, one at each end the same width as your tang then cut them out creating a slot the correct size. if you watched forged in fire then forget everything you saw. don't use epoxy to glue them together use contact cement to do the laminations. you can use epoxy in the slot when you glue it up but not for each piece of leather. after your contact cement dries then wet your leather and compress it and let it dry. i used my vice and did mine in sections. make your slot as close as possible to the correct size or you will run the risk of cutting or sanding through. last of all be sure to post a picture of your awesome knife.:)

13 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

you dont need a big punch if if your tang is rectangle punch two holes, one at each end the same width as your tang then cut them out creating a slot the correct size. if you watched forged in fire then forget everything you saw. don't use epoxy to glue them together use contact cement to do the laminations. you can use epoxy in the slot when you glue it up but not for each piece of leather. after your contact cement dries then wet your leather and compress it and let it dry. i used my vice and did mine in sections. make your slot as close as possible to the correct size or you will run the risk of cutting or sanding through. last of all be sure to post a picture of your awesome knife.:)

and you don't need it for the out side either just cut rectangles form a piece of strap, punch and cut your tang holes then glue, press and shape with a sander. 

Also, decide whether you want it to have alternating colors, or whether you want it uniform.  I like the ones that alternate personally, but that might not be your taste.  

This is one person's technique.  Again, personal taste and all, but I love the accent colors and the metal rings.  The sky is the limit I guess.  Find your own look!

https://thompsonsknives.com/bark3.html

Knife Handle

Edited by Tugadude