Ajdsimon

Proper Conditioners?

Hello,

Ive been making a bunch of early 19th century shooting bags out of full grain bark tanned deer hide, and veg tan cow leather as well.
    I’m trying to figure out a correct and smart way to condition my items to make them last as long as possible and prevent them from cracking. I’ve read so many different suggestions all over the internet, many of which contradict each other. It’s frustrating. I’m trying to find something that won’t oxidize and crack my work, nor go rancid. I’m also avoiding solvents, petroleums, and silicones. I know there’s nothing perfect, but I’d like to hear from the experts and their opinion. I would just like to be able to keep my pieces in good shape. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Ajdsimon said:

Hello,

Ive been making a bunch of early 19th century shooting bags out of full grain bark tanned deer hide, and veg tan cow leather as well.
    I’m trying to figure out a correct and smart way to condition my items to make them last as long as possible and prevent them from cracking. I’ve read so many different suggestions all over the internet, many of which contradict each other. It’s frustrating. I’m trying to find something that won’t oxidize and crack my work, nor go rancid. I’m also avoiding solvents, petroleums, and silicones. I know there’s nothing perfect, but I’d like to hear from the experts and their opinion. I would just like to be able to keep my pieces in good shape. Thank you.

Here is a post I made that addresses your needs and explains on how to make it yourself. 

I would begin with a light coating of 100% neatsfoot oil (not compound) and let that soak in for a day or two.  I would then condition, working the conditioner in with fingers.  If you don't make your own, some popular conditioners are Bick's 4, Blackrock, Aussie, and Lederbalsam.  The key to longevity is to maintain the leather during use.  For tack, that includes regular cleaning with saddle soap, applying conditioner as needed, and periodically oiling (but not over doing it).

On 12/17/2022 at 10:24 PM, ScottWolf said:

Here is a post I made that addresses your needs and explains on how to make it yourself. 

I made my own batches using Scott's recipe as a base. The only things I added were vitamin E oil and about 10 drops of clove oil (just for scent). This stuff works GREAT on everything I've made and could be considered period correct for the pieces you are making. The vitamin E, almond oil, and cocoa butter do a great job conditioning and the bees was adds some sealing and water resistance. 

I apply mine with a soft rag rubbing it in good. Let it soak in/dry to a haze and then buff with another soft rag. It gives a mellow shine and protects great!

Thank you @ScottWolf for sharing this! I made a double batch and include a jar of it with my customer's first orders as a little extra. I even gave some to my nephew to use on his baseball gloves after he was complaining that NF oil left his glove overly soft and heavy. This conditioner does the trick for him as it doesn't weigh the glove down and protects it very well!

On 3/22/2023 at 7:20 AM, ArkieNewbie said:

Thank you @ScottWolf for sharing this! I made a double batch and include a jar of it with my customer's first orders as a little extra. I even gave some to my nephew to use on his baseball gloves after he was complaining that NF oil left his glove overly soft and heavy. This conditioner does the trick for him as it doesn't weigh the glove down and protects it very well!

Glad to hear it's working out for you. The whole reason I make it is for baseball gloves, as I got tired of the other commercially available "baseball glove" conditioners out there not really doing much for the leather and costing a premium for a few ozs.