Sign in to follow this  
Mapleseeker

Singer sewing machine 132K6 top thread problems

Hello everyone,

I got an old Singer sewing machine 132K6 recently. It has not been used for over a decade at least and apparently full of dust and rust. I have cleaned, removed rust and lubricated moving parts. When I plugged in outlet, it works! But there are a couple of problems.

The needle can not pick up bottom thread when sewing a fabric. The rotary hook’s timing is adjusted and can grab the bottom thread. However when I tried to sew fabric, the needle won’t pick up bottom thread. Please see the attached pictures.

Another problem sometimes the upper thread was broken like it was cut by a knife.

Need help

Any help and advice are appreciated.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

1 hour ago, Mapleseeker said:

The needle can not pick up bottom thread when sewing a fabric.

First what size thread are you using with what needle size and system? From the last photo it appears you have the needle in backwards. A better photo of how you have the needle installed would help.

kgg

Not sure if and what manual you have but the best 132K6 manual you can download here.

Make sure timing is correct (see linked manual) and the spring of the bobbin case / hook retainer is touching the bobbin case just ever so slightly cause the thread will be slide between the spring and bobbin case. Also make sure there is no burr in the thread path and the bulge on the retainer spring tip is smooth.

Edited by Constabulary

41 minutes ago, Mapleseeker said:

The needle is Singer 25KY, thread is 224Q polyester.

I am not familiar with a Singer 25KY needle. The needle from the info I have seen for that machine calls for a DDX1 needle system and for the thread V92 that you are using in a size #19 or #20 or #21 depending on how thick a material you are trying to sew. The needle needs to be inserted so the long grooves are on your left and the thread is threaded from left to right, Page 5 and 6 of the manual I have attached.

kgg

Manual Singer 132K6 Seiko SK-7 SK-8 SK-26 - II (1)-1.pdf

37 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

Not sure if and what manual you have but the best 132K6 manual you can download here.

Make sure timing is correct (see linked manual) and the spring of the bobbin case / hook retainer is touching the bobbin case just ever so slightly cause the thread will be slide between the spring and bobbin case. Also make sure there is no burr in the thread path and the bulge on the retainer spring tip is smooth.

Thank you. I downloaded the manual and will try again.

3 minutes ago, kgg said:

I am not familiar with a Singer 25KY needle. The needle from the info I have seen for that machine calls for a DDX1 needle system and for the thread V92 that you are using in a size #19 or #20 or #21 depending on how thick a material you are trying to sew. The needle needs to be inserted so the long grooves are on your left and the thread is threaded from left to right, Page 5 and 6 of the manual I have attached.

kgg

Manual Singer 132K6 Seiko SK-7 SK-8 SK-26 - II (1)-1.pdf 1.33 MB · 1 download

Thank you. I downloaded the manual and will try again.