GrampaJoel

Logo’s and makers marks ??

Over the years I have always marked my leather work.

Mostly western/horse/ cowboy/gun holsters types of items.

I had a oval stamp with my name and city and made in USA on it. I see a lot similar in the western products. No one ever questioned me about it.

Recently,,, I changed venues,  from large items to smaller personal items. I also changed my mark to a stamp with just my stylized first name.( see below)

Sooo,,, 

I was showing a wallet prototype to a niece today at lunch, and after commenting that she liked it, she ask, but,,, was I going to put my name on all of them?

I explained it was my makers mark.  Not unlike the mark on her ‘ Fossil ‘ branded wallet. She seemed to not understand that they were the same thing.

so my question is ,

do you think my new logo is ok? 
and/or,,,should I add something to indicate it as a makers mark?

thanks 

Joel

734A7371-8411-4B92-B9D8-5732983E6B93.jpeg

Edited by GrampaJoel

I'd say just fine , I don't see why anyone would not get it .

Looks just fine to me  :)

I've been wanting to have a ' makers mark' stamp  made for sometime , about time  I did. I think its the cost that puts me off having one. 

I don't have a mark of any kind atm.

HS

That’s the start of your brand of products. I imagine when Monet and Rembrandt started out somebody said “why did they sign that”? I make stuff for people and they sometimes are surprised that I have a makers mark as they know me from another career. Just now got some stuff good enough to put a mark on. 

Ain't a single thing wrong with that...it's your "brand", as you put it. I'd run with it if I were you and not look back...

Maybe it wasn't the composition of the maker's mark, but rather her inability to separate you, someone she knows and loves from a faceless company.  I think it looks just fine!

P.S.  And hopefully she doesn't look at you as a Fossil!  :)

Maybe I'm in the minority but if the difference between your mark and a Fossil brand (and most others) is no waitress or cashier is going to see you open a wallet and say "Oh your name's Fossil"...whereas anyone who sees a wallet that has a somewhat common first name stamped on it is going to think someone just has a personalized wallet with the name Joel. 

IMO you need to go more stylized to make it clear it's your mark.   I think the mark would be better if you actually had your last name or initial in a stylized way that makes it looks less like it looks when someone has me stamp a name on a wallet.  Even adding a small "made in USA" below or just "USA" will make it clear that it's a brand/maker's mark...   I like the simplicity of your logo but  I do see what your niece saw but it's easily fixed with a small change or two. 

As far as maker's marks in general go, I think they're simply a point of pride and maybe a bit of exercise in ego...I've never owned an item where I was happier because it had a prominent brand.  Some people argue for them as a way of promotion, but unless someone can quickly type a description of your mark into Google and have you pop up, then it's not promotion.     This leaves you making  a mark that's basically your entire business name if you actually want someone to see something you made and come to you.

Just my two cents. 

Looks good, kind of agree with North Star..... 

Can anyone tell me what sizes were common for the oval shaped makers stamps on holsters and gunbelts, like in Packing Iron....  it's time to get a stamp.

God bless

Back to the Future taught us the dangers of having a logo that's a name when no one knows your brand. 

calvin-klein-back-to-the-future.gif.982c885658b581b1ddf90e4615598b92.gif

Judging by the size of the stitches in the photo, I would guess that your mark is small enough that it would be a stretch for somebody to think it is the name of the person holding the wallet or whatever.  I think your "brand" looks just fine as it is.

/dwight

35 minutes ago, nstarleather said:

Back to the Future taught us the dangers of having a logo that's a name when no one knows your brand. 

calvin-klein-back-to-the-future.gif.982c885658b581b1ddf90e4615598b92.gif

if  his underwear said, North Star. Would the assumption in the movie be that his name was North Star?

So,,, do you not mark,,  your leather goods at all?

27 minutes ago, DwightT said:

Judging by the size of the stitches in the photo, I would guess that your mark is small enough that it would be a stretch for somebody to think it is the name of the person holding the wallet or whatever.  I think your "brand" looks just fine as it is.

/dwight

Yes, it’s about 3/4” long.

3 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Maybe it wasn't the composition of the maker's mark, but rather her inability to separate you, someone she knows and loves from a faceless company.  I think it looks just fine!

P.S.  And hopefully she doesn't look at you as a Fossil!  :)

Yes, you might be on to it. 

1 hour ago, GrampaJoel said:

if  his underwear said, North Star. Would the assumption in the movie be that his name was North Star?

So,,, do you not mark,,  your leather goods at all?

Yes, it’s about 3/4” long.

I guess that's my point, a name especially just your first name makes it look like  a personalized wallet.  No no one would think someone's name was North Star...if fact if a person's name was North Star, someone seeing that stamped might think it was a brand. 

I'm a factory, mostly private label so no I don't generally put my stamp on things.  I don't say I never do but I'm producing hundreds of wallets for a company, they generally want their name on it...a few credit me as the manufacturer but it still gets their logo. 

You could just add the word leather underneath using the same font.

Hope this helps

JCUK

27 minutes ago, jcuk said:

You could just add the word leather underneath using the same font.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Yeah just anything...and I not saying "no one" will understand it's a brand as but if his niece and a few of us on here think it could be confusion, then that's the advice I'm giving. 

The brand is fine if that's what you want.  But there may be potential buyers that will not buy because of it.  I'm on other forums of both makers and buyers and requests for unbranded items are not uncommon.   Some makers oblige and those that don't lose a sale.  In the end, it doesn't matter what anyone here here thinks--it's up to you and the buyer.  

I like it. I've had customers ask that I put it on the front before. I had mine made by Leatherstampmaker,  one of our supporters here. You can get a heating iron for it to do other leathers that dont take an impression well

I have worn Herman Survivor boots for years. Nobody has called me Herman. The makers mark has helped me because in a small town I know a lot of people but they don’t know I do leather. I made something for a neighbor. I know his wife really well and she could not believe I made that. I told her to look at the makers mark. Also shows it is locally made. I have the Leatherstsmpmaker.com stamps. With the heater they work on wood items as well. I have a one inch circle. It’s a bit small but so is my talent. A lot of the oval makers marks are 1 inch by 1 1/2. 

I see the problem. I think the fact that it's a logo would be clearer if ther was an additional element: An oval around the name, "Made in ..." underneath - just a little something to make it clear that it's not the name of the owner. And you want to research that this or a similar trademark is not already being used.

The way I see it; only those who know your name will see 'Joel' as your personalisation. Others will see it as the 'makers brand'

Think of all the big names in the fashion trade, eg Gucci,  Nike,  Zara,  Prada, they only put their name on their items and people accept that

As for me; I preferred a 'Western' styled makers mark, But that's my choice

Lazy~D, LWs, 2.jpg

I've just had another one made;

Lazy D and Made in UK, 30mm, LWs, 2.jpg

Both are 3cm across

I'll be getting a different version made soon

On 12/20/2022 at 8:35 AM, Handstitched said:

I've been wanting to have a ' makers mark' stamp  made for sometime , about time  I did. I think its the cost that puts me off having one. 

I got my latest one made in Hong Kong. Its made in brass. Including s&h and taxes it cost me £17.99.  Quite affordable imo

My one inch circle was $62. I had a 3 inch one done for $152 maybe. To me it’s a nostalgic touch like the old makers added. 

3 hours ago, fredk said:

Think of all the big names in the fashion trade, eg Gucci,  Nike,  Zara,  Prada, they only put their name on their items and people accept that

I'm met zero people and one dog with any of those names...I've known a lot of Joel's (Prada is a cute puppy).   Op asked about improving it and if his niece had a point...

@GrampaJoel , I tend to agree with @nstarleather on this one. I call my leather "business" Crowley's Ridge Workshop but my name is Justin. If I stamped Justin on my work I could see how some would take it as personalization. 

If it were me I'd just add the work Leather or something behind your name to make it more clear that it's your maker's mark. Just my opinion. If your customers don't mind then I'd say keep rocking the way you are. 

Well I can definitely see that there are several thoughts in regards to maker marks.

I may on an occasion sell something, but I sell at my cost.
I don’t do repeated production work for someone else either.

So I am not a business, nor have I ever really been one it true practice.

I enjoy the leather work and it’s challenges, and so I guess that makes it just a hobby.  
My artist friend says I’m a leather artist. So I’ll except that as my title.

anyway I thank each one that has responded to this thread from my heart with a big ‘THANK YOU’ for sharing your thoughts.

I am attempting to modify my logo/brand/signature to the below image.

CE5E1142-AABA-44E9-9CD4-A91A9C3FCF43.jpeg

22 minutes ago, GrampaJoel said:

I may on an occasion sell something, but I sell at my cost.
I don’t do repeated production work for someone else either.

So I am not a business, nor have I ever really been one it true practice.

Then do what makes you happy!  It's a no risk thing: if people want it fine! if they don't it's not like it's how you're feeding the family.

I appreciate the discussion anyway because it's something we all have to think about.