It's apparent that acrylic is the default recommended paint. I'm quite familiar with the properties of all kinds of paint so I can see why, but are there any reasons other than what I might guess against oils? The biggest, I'm assuming, is the drying time. Possibly followed by cost, then perhaps cracking if it's thick (though I imagine acrylic wouldn't be much better if you slapped on that much).

I do wonder about the surface preparation, but eh. Everyone's meant to test dye or paint on scraps first.

So, anyone ever tried artist oils on leather?

nope never tried it. my experience with oils is on canvas. i think if you apply gesso first like you do on canvas you would have a cracking problem sooner or later if the whatever is flexed, if it stays flat like a canvas then it would probably work ok as the leather is just a base for oil on gesso.  without gesso your oil is going to soak into the leather and i have no idea how the remaining pigments will react on the leather or the leather to the pigments. great question and easy to find the answer just try a piece of scrap. That being said you got to realize someone in the long history of leather and oil painting has probably tried this and if it would have worked with any success it would be a common thing now.