Tanz

Vegtanned Kidskin?

Hello,

live been looking into making a proper pair of above the elbow 1880s evening gloves— which are consistently described as being kidskin. The issue is that the only kidskin I can find is chrome tan, which will not work for a variety of reasons (lack of stretch, lack of dye ability, horrible sensory to touch, ethical objections on my part, etc). Tawed seems to have been in some degree of use as well, going by trade journals and descriptions,  but veg tan seems much easier to find and to work with. I’ve not been able to find either, however, and was wondering if anyone had ideas of where I might find some. 

Kid as in "young goat"? I don't know where in the world you are but here in Britain most leather suppliers will do at least one type of veg tanned russet goatskin. Usually around 1mm thick.

I don't know exactly what properties are required for leather for making a pair of 1880s kidskin evening gloves but goatskin seems to me like a logical place to start.

On 12/20/2022 at 1:52 PM, Tanz said:

Hello,

live been looking into making a proper pair of above the elbow 1880s evening gloves— which are consistently described as being kidskin. The issue is that the only kidskin I can find is chrome tan, which will not work for a variety of reasons (lack of stretch, lack of dye ability, horrible sensory to touch, ethical objections on my part, etc). Tawed seems to have been in some degree of use as well, going by trade journals and descriptions,  but veg tan seems much easier to find and to work with. I’ve not been able to find either, however, and was wondering if anyone had ideas of where I might find some. 

check out the buckleguy.com
they have korba buffalo calf vegetable leather in 2/2.5 and 3/3.5 oz

On 12/20/2022 at 5:52 PM, Tanz said:

I’ve not been able to find either

Not knowing where you are or availability .  you could try VT  kangaroo leather , available in Australia .

HS

https://www.decocuir.com/tannage-vegetal-finition-couleur-c102x3662815

Lots of goat and sheep. However, I'm not sure that veg tan is the best option, as I know it as generally stiffer than chrome tan.

Pergamena Tannery specializes in veg tanned, lightweight leathers including goat.  https://www.pergamena.net/