I have been sponging info off leatherworker for years. From that info I have acquired the machines (Consew 146rb-1 and a Tippmann Boss) that work for my interests. I thank you all for the experience you freely share. Now I ask one of my first questions that I have searched the net looking for and can’t find.

I recently started a love hate bond with a Tippmann Boss. I have been through the usual frustration of tensioning and test sewing, I have that dialed in pretty well, but still working on adjusting stitch length. 
My question to you owner/users is this. When I have completed stitching and lock stitched an item, how do I get slack in the thread to remove the item and trim the ends? I have tried just pulling it, I have tried pulling slack after the primary tension but it seems to cause slack that screws up the first stitch of the next item even though I hold the threads tight when beginning to stitch.

i have tried lifting the presser in combo with pulling the thread, nothing seems to work. 

When using a normal machine the tension discs release when the presser is lifted, but not the case for a Boss. Any help will be appreciated. 

I've had a few sewing machines that lacked a (working or non-existent) thread tension release. I learned to just pull the thread through the take-up lever to free the work. I don't know if your Boss has a tension release or not. If it does it may need some adjustment, or a missing part.

Thanks Wiz, and thank you for all the informative replies you have provided over the years. When I said sponged I meant that I soaked up information as in. You provided responses that I have used on a number of machines that I have owned over the years and to get the machines I have today. 

Pulling from the take up seems to be the best solution, but it causes a tension loop in the first stitches of the next item no matter how tight I pull the thread tails at the start. 

I have gone through the owners manual part by part and cant find anything weird or missing. I think the design of the Boss does not allow a release like a flat bed. That said it might be part of the struggle to get tension settings just right. I'm hoping some of the people who use a Boss everyday will chime in and give me their take on it. 

I think the design of the Boss does not allow a release like a flat bed.

I looked at the parts diagram and it looks like the primary and secondary tensioners are simply bolted to the frame with no kind mechanism that presses them open, when you lift the foot like you'd find in other machines. 

Thanks Quade, you are correct about the design. Do you use a Boss? If so how do you remove your item after stitching?

Do you use a Boss? 

Not yet. I was just curious so I looked up the parts diagram.   I looked on YT for how people removed their projects and that part seemed to be missing from the video's I watched. 

When i have finished back stitching I just pull the thread level to the logo on the machine and once i have cut the thread make sure i pull it tight in the machine and have never had the problem you are having.

Hope this helps

JCUK 

Thanks Jcuk,

I think you are talking about the slack in the tension lever. Does that leave a hard to grab short tail for starting the next stitching?

Fishbone

No because i pull the slack out through the needle, pull it tight and when i start stitching a new product it just works for me, but will have to say most of my work is usually hand stitched so not a machine expert by any means but i what i do just works.

Hope this helps 

JCUK

On 12/22/2022 at 8:22 AM, ElFishbone said:

My question to you owner/users is this. When I have completed stitching and lock stitched an item, how do I get slack in the thread to remove the item and trim the ends? I have tried just pulling it, I have tried pulling slack after the primary tension but it seems to cause slack that screws up the first stitch of the next item even though I hold the threads tight when beginning to stitch.

i have tried lifting the presser in combo with pulling the thread, nothing seems to work. 

I apologize for taking so long to get this done . . . but Christmas and a contrary phone / video setup wouldn't let it happen until I got my guru on the phone this morning and he walked me thru the steps.

Here is a little video that shows you what I have done since the sales person in Tandy showed me how to do this back in 2000 when I bought my machine.

Hope this helps:  https://youtube.com/shorts/PKbPuN3xZA

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you Dwight! That is what I was looking for. I pulled the thread until the tension bar stopped, but didn't put the extra oomph into like you do. I was worried I would break or bend something because of how tight  the thread was. I have been cruising the forum for quite awhile and that is why I figured you would know the answer.

Best to you. 

You're welcome . . . 

Not much you can do to bend a Boss . . . 

Have fun . . . Happy New Year . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight