Danne

Watch strap, white or red thread?

A slim strap in black alpine calf (Haas Derby) with natural color Zermatt calf as lining.

Can't decide if I go with white or red thread, linen or poly (now the poly thread is Meisi Xiange so look very similar.

My first thought was 2.45/11spi, but I think with this watch that 9spi will look better, but will still go with a relatively thin thread.

IMG_4637.thumb.JPG.8c89c09e4e1cdc44773be2112ccef635.JPG

IMG_4638.thumb.JPG.c554f091253d42c5af20b59e6950aada.JPG

IMG_4640.thumb.JPG.c3b79886e98b84aaafa636bd16be3c13.JPG

IMG_4639.thumb.JPG.c09635661a1481293443f052393819ea.JPG

Red! For this watch only, not generally for black/brown straps. But here it would enhance the second hand, I think. There's already enough white on the watch.

28 minutes ago, Klara said:

Red! For this watch only, not generally for black/brown straps. But here it would enhance the second hand, I think. There's already enough white on the watch.

Yes, I already made that decision, and I obviously did agree with you. 

(Not creased or finished edges yet)

IMG_4642.thumb.JPG.0662e5a5b55f343445ae7dc868bc38ae.JPG

I was going to say red as well, after seeing the thread across the strap and the watch face.  Looks very nice.

Hell, make a set and use black, white, and red. I had a Seiko Divers Watch and it came with a black rubber strap. The watch sucked at keeping time, it was replaced with a cheap $15 Timex that did the job required by Marine Corps standards. 

The leather is ok if it will NOT see salt water. Salt water will ruin leather! If it’s just used for aesthetics then use either one of the other 3 colors I have suggested. Keeping in mind that aside from accents that favor the watch, the band itself may clash with the shirt being worn, that’s why I mentioned making a set

Do you use Velodon or some sort of non stretch material between the layers?

9 hours ago, Scoutmom103 said:

I was going to say red as well, after seeing the thread across the strap and the watch face.  Looks very nice.

Yes, I think it will be nice. almost finished here, just need some more work on the edges, and keepers.

IMG_4643.thumb.JPG.2e25e44d0736bbf1c9d945a5449b716b.JPG

6 hours ago, Doc Reaper said:

Hell, make a set and use black, white, and red. I had a Seiko Divers Watch and it came with a black rubber strap. The watch sucked at keeping time, it was replaced with a cheap $15 Timex that did the job required by Marine Corps standards. 

The leather is ok if it will NOT see salt water. Salt water will ruin leather! If it’s just used for aesthetics then use either one of the other 3 colors I have suggested. Keeping in mind that aside from accents that favor the watch, the band itself may clash with the shirt being worn, that’s why I mentioned making a set

Yes, three straps with black, white and red would be a good idea. I do like leather watch straps, but practically I don't, with metal bracelet I never take my watch off, I sleep with it, shower, bath. And easy to clean without removing anything, just a tooth brush and some dish soap in water (Yes it might be a bad choice for a fancy watch since I would guess that tooth brush would leave small "hairline scratches" but I don't have any fancy really expensive watches. 

Color matching will probably not be a problem. Most of my shirts and t-shirts are white or black or grey. The difference will be the quality, if I craft that t-shirt will be a cheaper one, if I "dress up" a little bit, it will be a t-shirt with higher quality.

3 hours ago, mike02130 said:

Do you use Velodon or some sort of non stretch material between the layers?

Yes velodon is used on this strap. Btw you have a lot of knowledge, for some thick straps, think like a really thick strap for a Panerai, velodon might not always be the best solution, because depending on the type of leather for top and lining, it might require more layers of leather, in those situations unless the top layer would be like cordovan I want to avoid stretching at the lugs, and looking for a good choice of calf to reinforce the top layer that will go around the folds. A calf that have a good balance between being soft and pliable, but doesn't stretch too much. I think a chrome/mineral tanned crust calf, but not sure which one would suit this best. And salpa Salamander have good options, the problem is that there are few resellers, and usually they don't disclose what version of salamander they use, and when they do it's not the one I look for lol.

Edited by Danne

Beautiful, The Red is stunning you went 3.0mm punch did you also use # 30 Xiange. This I think personally is my favourite combination. My I ask at the end of the strap at the intersection of the two stitch lines, did you use a small round hole or you simply start with the other french punch? thanks

51 minutes ago, NDphung said:

Beautiful, The Red is stunning you went 3.0mm punch did you also use # 30 Xiange. This I think personally is my favourite combination. My I ask at the end of the strap at the intersection of the two stitch lines, did you use a small round hole or you simply start with the other french punch? thanks

Thank you, Xiange Twist #35. When using Xiange I usually go with #35 for watch straps, and #30 for wallets/card holders. 

I prick with my irons as usual, but I start so I have a "flat" line. I do this so I get the correct distance. Then I punch all the holes except the one at the point. Where I instead use a round awl.

1109529789_Skrmklipp.thumb.JPG.5e3b381547dadbf5057ffe527bece88a.JPG

Edited by Danne

Matched good with red thread. (My opinion at least)

IMG_4656.thumb.JPG.ab1c3f9f8031a06445f6d3e6ec40dd14.JPG

Mine as well. Nice watch, btw, but I suspect larger thn 36 mm (which is the maximum size for me). 

7 minutes ago, Klara said:

Mine as well. Nice watch, btw, but I suspect larger thn 36 mm (which is the maximum size for me). 

Yes, 40mm. I have quite small wrists but it does work for me.

2 minutes ago, Danne said:

I have quite small wrists

Assuming you are a man, "quite small" is probably a bit more than 14.5 cm ;)

3 minutes ago, Klara said:

Assuming you are a man, "quite small" is probably a bit more than 14.5 cm ;)

Yes, 17.5 cm. And yes a 40 case would probably be a little large for your wrist.

That strap is beautiful.  And, I'm loving that Certina.

6 hours ago, ramrod said:

That strap is beautiful.  And, I'm loving that Certina.

Thank you, I'm very happy with this model also. But I've had my eye on the new green one, super nice. 

https://www.certina.com/en/watch/ds-action-diver/c0328071109100

i'm seeing a fair amount of green dials lately. green is my favorite color, but just not on a watch.