Teradee

Making Sure I Don’t Do Something Stupid

I have an old machine (Singer 18-3 treadle with cylinder arm and rolling foot/wheel feed).  It’s a nice machine and interesting to use.  

I like to make all kinds of stuff, but wonder if the 18-3 is particularly “special” when making more delicate pieces like wallet interiors, small bags, etc. 

I will also have a 29-4 (and a cylinder arm), a 31-15, and a 66.

Forgetting the price for a minute and solely thinking about the utility…What do you all think?  Go ahead and sell the 18-3 and just use these other machines?  Or will I miss it?

Any advice would be awesome!

Jason

I would keep it.  Rare to find them.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

Only two reasons to get rid of it - you don't have the room for it or you need the money. Otherwise why sell it?

4 hours ago, Teradee said:

It’s a nice machine and interesting to use.  

I wouldn't get rid of it. If you want or need a different machine and it is taking up valuable space I would grease the Singer up and break down the treadle so you can properly store it.

kgg

On 12/30/2022 at 1:10 PM, Teradee said:

I have an old machine (Singer 18-3 treadle with cylinder arm and rolling foot/wheel feed).  It’s a nice machine and interesting to use.  

I like to make all kinds of stuff, but wonder if the 18-3 is particularly “special” when making more delicate pieces like wallet interiors, small bags, etc. 

I will also have a 29-4 (and a cylinder arm), a 31-15, and a 66.

Forgetting the price for a minute and solely thinking about the utility…What do you all think?  Go ahead and sell the 18-3 and just use these other machines?  Or will I miss it?

Any advice would be awesome!

Jason

As said, unless there's a compelling reason to sell, I'd hang on to it.  It's unique while the others are common.