Sheilajeanne

Tanning and Bottle Making

From leather bottle making to castrating beeves

what a load of bollocks!

Just joking. Some of the words we use for livestock come from old Anglo-Saxon, some from Norman-French, and in the US some from Spanish-Indo

When I see the bullocks being gathered in a field, getting ready for the slaughter houses, I think; thats a lot of burgers and a lot of leather, I wonder where that goes

5 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

yup and available feed is the reason, you can look at the United states on google earth for the best image. Where the Midwest ends and the west begins you will see a distinct color change the earth goes from pretty green to desolate brown. That big brown brown area is where the wild west happened and where farms stopped and ranches started. Why because there was little water and even less fertile soils. After the civil war broke assed men, now known as rootin tootin cowboys would gather wild Spanish cattle and herd them out into that big dry brown area, about a 1/3rd of the US, let them feed on what little grass there was then herd or after the railroad was built ship them back to the Midwest to feed lots which btw were invented at this time to fatten up those range cattle before sale for slaughter. Why because the Midwest has plenty of good feed while the west doesn't.  So out here where i live there is a marked difference between ranches and farms and a marked difference on how raising cattle is successfully done. There is little green pasture land to do both, winter cattle and graze cattle in the summer. It was and still is a very precarious business out here. one bad winter or one dry summer could make a rancher sell off most of his entire herd no matter what age they are. You folks in the Midwest can easily feed a cow forever for free and let it have as many calves as you want.

Its amazing as i write this i realize the picture in each of our heads of a cows life. i see them daily out in a vast desert wandering miles through sagebrush and sand feeding on what little they can find while some of you may have a much different picture of cattle lazily standing around grazing in rich succulent grass. ya gotta love the world as it is.

Just watched a video last night from a farm in SD last light that the spring they had hay numbers that were huge. Rest of the summer was as dry as a popcorn fart. Had to put the cattle out on corn stocks early for feed and now they got hammered by snow and had to buy hay for extra feed. Another place I watch videos is a couple hours south of me had to mow the hay and leave on the ground because they had so much and didn't have more room for it and they sell a lot of it.