AlZilla

The Singer 44-10 and my continuing sewing machine education

Maybe this will save someone trouble down the road.  My education about the shuttle driver on my 44-10 Singer.

I recently dragged home the aforementioned machine.  It spun loosely enough but would only make a partial turn in either direction before it came up against some kind of a hard stop. The needle was broken off so wasn't causing interference. I quickly figured out that removing the bobbin case would let it spin fine.  A little investigating revealed that the hook timing was off.  Way, way off. Like a 1/3 or 1/2 turn of the hook off.

The 44-10 is apparently a short arm version of the 31-15 so there was plenty of information to sift through.

Looked for info on how to set the timing only to find that all the adjustment is supposed to be by tweaking the needle bar height.  Well, unless I have a 3 foot needle bar, there's no way I was going to make this thing work.

I went looking for how to reset the shuttle driver position.  Nothing, absolutely nothing to be found.  So, flying blind, I took the bobbin area apart and removed the shuttle driver (those of you familiar with these machines may see the problem at this point).  Cleaned everything up and reassembled it based on how the stitch is supposed to form and where things are supposed to be positioned in relation to each other.  Got it working right, picking up the bobbin thread just like it's supposed to.  Great!

I went to give the shuttle driver set screws a final tightening ... and lo and behold, there before my eyes ... a perfectly lined up pin hole in the shuttle driver and hook shaft!

Sure would have saved me a lot of trouble if I had known there was supposed to be a pin in there.

Now, where to find that pin ...

mugshot.png

Edited by AlZilla

It's cute.   You mean something like a roll pin or is it a tapered pin? 

Edited by Quade

4 hours ago, Quade said:

It's cute.   You mean something like a roll pin or is it a tapered pin? 

I don't know.  The illustration in the parts list looks like a solid pin of some kind. I'm just going to play with a selection of wires and pins until I find something.  For that matter, a machine screw and a nut would keep it from turning.

Roll pins are spring loaded. Tapered pins are keyed so they and the shaft can only go together one way.  I've never seen a tapered pin in a sewing machine though.   The problem with a bolt might be that you get some slop on the joint.  My singer 211 uses a roll pin to hold the lever for the walking foot movement to the shaft. 

2 minutes ago, Quade said:

Roll pins are spring loaded. Tapered pins are keyed so they and the shaft can only go together one way.  I've never seen a tapered pin in a sewing machine though.   The problem with a bolt might be that you get some slop on the joint.  My singer 211 uses a roll pin to hold the lever for the walking foot movement to the shaft. 

There are 2 set screws in the shuttle driver. There must be a reason they used the pin, too.  Positioning relative to the hook and maybe keeping the end play where they wanted it?

It's a taper pin BUT alot of these & 31-15's don't have them & as long as the screws are tight it won't slip.

35 minutes ago, CowboyBob said:

It's a taper pin BUT alot of these & 31-15's don't have them & as long as the screws are tight it won't slip.

That is good information to have.  Thanks.

I see the 44-10 has the same part numbers on the shuttle as the 31-15.   If you ever want to run thicker thread, up to 138, and your current parts won’t allow it, the shuttle, bobbin and case from a 31-20 are easy to swap in.

These are just enjoyable machines to run - basic, smooth, and easy to operate - the machine I like to teach basic sewing on. 

E835CD4D-995F-4266-847A-A0703B2A8DB1.jpeg

4 hours ago, DonInReno said:

the shuttle, bobbin and case from a 31-20 are easy to swap in.

That, I will do.  Thanks!

Tapered pin #2049  is the pin for the shuttle driver.  You could find a long generic tapered pin and insert.  These are hardened so you will need a Dremel to cut it off and sand the ends. May still be available.  Call Cowboy Bob.

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher

4 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

Tapered pin #2049  is the pin for the shuttle driver.  You could find a long generic tapered pin and insert.  These are hardened so you will need a Dremel to cut it off and sand the ends. May still be available.  Call Cowboy Bob.

glenn

Cowboy Bob scares me... :)  I've started squirreling money away for a 3500 or 4500.

13 hours ago, AlZilla said:

Cowboy Bob scares me... :)  I've started squirreling money away for a 3500 or 4500.

:rofl: