YinTx

Help! Rolled edges: Made a thing, not happy.

So I did a rolled edge, inspired by Sporran designs.  However, the edge of the front piece shows on the inside of the bag, and is not very attractive.  If you have used multiple layers, as I have (lining leather, foam, stabilizer, Bontex, front leather/fur, etc) it can be quite ugly.  Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong that allows that edge to show, or does it normally show on things like Sporrans?  (I've never actually seen one, only photos, and no one seems to post images of the inside of these things, even those selling them).  Thank you!

YinTx

RolledEdgeFront.thumb.jpg.7a03d51421d34ee301cbfa899fc80455.jpg

RolledEdgeGap.thumb.jpg.cae6c9515637137754ed0801b5226f49.jpg

Here is a shot of my sporran. Not high end but it looks just like yours.

IMG_20221231_181828bbb.jpg

Maybe a dark marksalot and the point of a edging beveler/burnisher? I ran an ad on next-door for a wood turner.  I got a response,  and for a contribution to a local charity I got a burnisher turned with a point on it. This is great for those inside spots that need a bit of burnishing.

Edited by Hags
Spelling

I would maybe cut it a little shorter but it looks nice.

I would be doing a binder edge either fabric tape or leather if you prefer. I am not sure but you may have come in a little too far from the edge when connecting the gusset to the front section. 1/8" in would be my guess would work best which I think would make the gusset area not stick out so much. NOT to bad overall though..

6 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

I would be doing a binder edge either fabric tape or leather if you prefer. I am not sure but you may have come in a little too far from the edge when connecting the gusset to the front section. 1/8" in would be my guess would work best which I think would make the gusset area not stick out so much. NOT to bad overall though..

I think this would be the answer, but everything is hand stitched and I haven't done binders so well when hand stitching.  My impressions looking at Sporrans was that they had an unusually large rolled section, so I did intentionally make it large.  I agree with your assessment, and will make the next one with a skinnier roll.  Also I think making the top more vertical instead of rounded inwards will make the edge show less, since the roll does not hug the front piece.

13 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

Here is a shot of my sporran. Not high end but it looks just like yours.

Thank you for that image, something I wanted to see but was not able to.  Can see that the top is more vertical, keeping that edge from showing as much.  Are those tassels just pulled through a slot and riveted at the upper edge of the front?  How soft is the gusset?  I made mine from 2-3oz veg tan belly, so it is slightly firm.  I'm thinking it needs to be dry milled veg or bag leather tho, which doesn't lend itself well to a burnished edge at the attachment to the back piece.  Mine is only partially lined, as in the front piece is lined only.  Is this standard, or do most of them have linings?  I'm not really making a Sporran, just something largely inspired by one, but I want to understand how they are really put together.

13 hours ago, Hags said:

Maybe a dark marksalot and the point of a edging beveler/burnisher? I ran an ad on next-door for a wood turner.  I got a response,  and for a contribution to a local charity I got a burnisher turned with a point on it. This is great for those inside spots that need a bit of burnishing.

I could edge paint before adding the rolled gusset edge as an option.

10 hours ago, 216Ruth said:

I would maybe cut it a little shorter but it looks nice.

If by "it" you are referring the the width of the rolled edge, I agree, I will make the next prototype a bit skinnier.

8 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Why not roll it over onto the gusset too?

I am a bit confused by this, as the rolled edge is the gusset...

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions, I was really frustrated after I finished this prototype, as I felt it was un-useable/unpresentable as it came out, and didn't want the next version to follow suit.

YinTx

to me it looks angled(cut at an angle) so you see more of the cut edge could you simply angle it the other way or cut it straight so it doesn't show as bad from the top 

or maybe skive it down to nothing and fold it in or glue it together.

8 hours ago, YinTx said:

Thank you for that image, something I wanted to see but was not able to.  Can see that the top is more vertical, keeping that edge from showing as much.  Are those tassels just pulled through a slot and riveted at the upper edge of the front?  How soft is the gusset?  I made mine from 2-3oz veg tan belly, so it is slightly firm.  I'm thinking it needs to be dry milled veg or bag leather tho, which doesn't lend itself well to a burnished edge at the attachment to the back piece.  Mine is only partially lined, as in the front piece is lined only.  Is this standard, or do most of them have linings?  I'm not really making a Sporran, just something largely inspired by one, but I want to understand how they are really put together.

After dinner I will post more pics. It is an inexpensive one that a friend bought to replace the one I lost in the fire.

Here are more views of the sporran.

IMG_20230101_191531.jpg

IMG_20230101_191542.jpg

IMG_20230101_191752.jpg

IMG_20230101_191824.jpg

IMG_20230101_191906.jpg

Th gusset is very light chrome tan, soft and flexible.

10 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

to me it looks angled(cut at an angle) so you see more of the cut edge could you simply angle it the other way or cut it straight so it doesn't show as bad from the top 

Exactly.  Kinda what I was saying about how I should make the top more vertical.  Has to help some.

33 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

Here are more views of the sporran.

You rock.  These are the views I've been trying to find!  I think I'll profile the lid to have a more masculine look as yours does.  I have some ideas to adopt the first profile for some other uses...

33 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

Th gusset is very light chrome tan, soft and flexible.

Thank you.   I think I read somewhere the originals were made from like a deerskin, so I'll opt for something with a less firm hand than what I originally used.  and thinner gussets, I think I used a piece of 4" wide leather, which made a rather extra roomy bag.

YinTx 

A bit of black or dark brown dye over that original raw edge, will help disguise it.
So might a rivet to mash it all  together... (not that I'm a fan of rivets at all...)

I think @chuck123wapati has the right idea, skive both the hairy and plain top of the rolled edge and also run a topstitch along the top with the Gusset so it lays flat  and at the same time holds the the rolled top flat

Edited by chrisash

I have a couple of projects to clear off my bench, but I think I'll make myself a new sporran this winter.

Giggity.

Thank you all for the pointers, I think this version turned out much better.  I'd add more photos, but for some reason I've been limited to this .5mb image?

HipPouch1.thumb.jpg.cc45e7ed8b25b05ca0bdd76abc6af290.jpg

Edited by YinTx

All right, finally got to get this image thing sorted out.  Here are some additional photos, showing how I addressed the ugly edges.  I made a "T" out of the liner, and did basically two rolled edges with it.  So the top section you only see leather, and not the layers.  Then, I dyed the remaining edge black so even if you do look at it, not much to see, so it does not distract from the aesthetics.  I also made the side a bit more vertical, which prevented the gusset from pulling away from the ugly edge, exposing less of it.  Reduced the width of the rolled edge on the front.  Changed the profile of the cover as well.  I think it lends to a more masculine look as well.  Thanks to @tsunkasapa for the images and suggestions, as well as @Hags and @Stewey regarding dye on the edge, @Tugadude suggesting more rolling for the side as well, @chuck123wapati for decreasing the angle at the top of the front plate (making it more vertical) and @RockyAussie for reducing the width the rolled edge.  I debated @chrisash suggestion, but decided to try all the other options first to see if it got me 90% of where I wanted it to go.  It did inspire me to roll and stitch the topside of the gusset tho, so there's that!  Thanks again, everyone, I think this version of the design is much better with all these suggestions.

YinTx

HipPouch6.thumb.jpg.4cd32eda38a10dce1c674bcd8b7068da.jpg

HipPouch4.thumb.jpg.1f8a4ea4d3938094d48822816509bb22.jpg

HipPouch5.jpg.a09667ed19b232a63efec1af0438c46d.jpg

HipPouch3.thumb.jpg.1a785f27120594997f8e44768451f648.jpg

Much nicer