"I only want to see you riding in the purple reins." Couldn't resist. Yesterday's project was replacing the buckle ends of a friend's reins. Torn in two. Got a pretty good color match with existing - that's dark brown Fenice Colorfast dye.  These rubber grips are nylon webbing coated with rubber.  A piece of web inserts into a split in the leather strap and is sewn in place.  I prefer grips that slide over a continuous leather strap.  The cuffs covering the junction of leather strap and rubber grips are a little different than existing but I think they'll pass inspection.

DSC_9267.thumb.jpg.f604ab6a755f508af5575b957b3164d8.jpg

Never replaced these kind of rubber reins, but have used them they don't seem to preform so well in the wet as Equus reins as they go shiny when used a bit, but do seem to be a bit more hard wearing. One thing i have noticed is you have put a double row of stitches on the bit end for the cuffs while on the hand part you have used one row of stitches on the cuffs.

Hope this helps

JCUK

5 hours ago, jcuk said:

Never replaced these kind of rubber reins, but have used them they don't seem to preform so well in the wet as Equus reins as they go shiny when used a bit, but do seem to be a bit more hard wearing. One thing i have noticed is you have put a double row of stitches on the bit end for the cuffs while on the hand part you have used one row of stitches on the cuffs.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Yes, I like the weight of leather reins covered with the Equus grips.  The rubber coated nylon web grips on these reins are lightweight and flexible (floppy), but they are a favorite of the owner.  The cuff with a double row of stitches is the original.  The cuffs I removed during the repair were falling apart so I replaced them with a thicker cuff.  I could have incorporated the cuffs into the 2 stitch lines holding the leather straps on the grip webbing, but I decided to makes certain the straps were firmly attached to the grips before covering the ends with the cuffs.