TomBanwell

Sanding Edges of Shoes

I've been doing leatherwork for 50 years, but am new to shoemaking. After cementing the outer sole to the midsole, I am sanding the edge flush on my Grizzly buffer/grinder drum sander. It runs at 3450 rpm, and I'm using a 100 grit belt on a 4" drum. The problem I'm having is burning and buildup. How do the pro shoemakers do this? Is the 3450 too fast?

6 hours ago, TomBanwell said:

I've been doing leatherwork for 50 years, but am new to shoemaking. After cementing the outer sole to the midsole, I am sanding the edge flush on my Grizzly buffer/grinder drum sander. It runs at 3450 rpm, and I'm using a 100 grit belt on a 4" drum. The problem I'm having is burning and buildup. How do the pro shoemakers do this? Is the 3450 too fast?

Yes I believe that rpm speed is way over ideal. You can get a crepe rubber stick for cleaning the sandpaper up which can help but overall a finishing machine would be the best bet really. They generally are good at removing most of the dust as you sand at that is more important for your health.

Thanks for your reply. Since I am retired and it is just a hobby I'm trying to do this without having to buy a finishing machine. I do have a good dust system set up.

way out of my element here but I wonder if there is a way to install a speed reducer to your existing sander?

Thanks, yeah, I've been thinking about that too. I can slow my drill press way down with the pulleys. Maybe I'll set up a sanding drum there.

Can anyone tell me what the rpm of a Landis line finisher is?

Edited by TomBanwell

I can't remember about the finisher. Been too many long years since I was around one. I use my big drill press slowed down with different sized drums on holster edges with out burning. Should work on shoe soles just as well. Get the crepe rubber stick if you do this . 

2 hours ago, doubleh said:

I can't remember about the finisher. Been too many long years since I was around one. I use my big drill press slowed down with different sized drums on holster edges with out burning. Should work on shoe soles just as well. Get the crepe rubber stick if you do this . 

Thanks!

Ways to clean the bottom of shoes to make them appear fresh. Step 1: Make a paste of baking soda and soap. Step 2: Make use of white toothpaste. Step 3: Iodized salt and vinegar. Step 4: Remove nail polish using nail polish remover. Procedure 5: Make use of bleaching powder. Procedure 6: Laundry or dish soap.