rcv1337

Making a leather Nato strap

Hi!

So I would like to make some Nato strap. I was looking for good leather and bough these:
https://www.oaleathersupply.com/products/horween-leather-jet-black-dublin-3-3-5oz
https://www.oaleathersupply.com/products/rawlings-tennessee-tanning-co-bison-brown-latigo-3-4oz
(And also some Wickett & Craig - Black harness - veg tan)

The reason I choose the Horween and the Rawlings, Latigo tan, is to have a supple leather. I also read Latigo tan can tolerate sweat and humidity very well. They are very soft and pleasant to the touch.
I'm wondering if you think it's a good choice ?

My second question is; how I can finish the edge ? I did some edge finishing in the past but with thick veg tan, never on thin and supple leather.

Probably gonna have some question about hand stitching but I will start by reading other post first.

I have a small CNC mill in my basement and will design and machine my buckle, tell me if you will like to see the making process. 

Thank you !!

I have an edge painting guide (I'm no expert, but it results in nice edges) If you burnish, you can do it while holding it down against an edge, like this. (see photo)

Yes, I want to see the making process of the buckle. I used to program lathes back in the days, I wish I had a small cnc mill though. A five axis Datron C5 would be nice :lol:

IMG_4717.thumb.JPG.6352876347b0fd1efd1bc5bb3acac538.JPG

1 hour ago, Danne said:

I have an edge painting guide (I'm no expert, but it results in nice edges) If you burnish, you can do it while holding it down against an edge, like this. (see photo)

Yes, I want to see the making process of the buckle. I used to program lathes back in the days, I wish I had a small cnc mill though. A five axis Datron C5 would be nice :lol:

IMG_4717.thumb.JPG.6352876347b0fd1efd1bc5bb3acac538.JPG

Thanks ! I will try that. Maybe try putting the strap between two pieces of wood, my latigo is very soft.

The Datron is one of my dream machine. I have a small Tormach 440, nothing amazing but very happy with it.

I'm currently working on the CAD and I will make a new thread soon to show the process and my beginner leather work lol. Thanks

7 minutes ago, rcv1337 said:

Thanks ! I will try that. Maybe try putting the strap between two pieces of wood, my latigo is very soft.

The Datron is one of my dream machine. I have a small Tormach 440, nothing amazing but very happy with it.

I'm currently working on the CAD and I will make a new thread soon to show the process and my beginner leather work lol. Thanks

Even though I paint all my edges, I still burnish, like I burnish the edges during the edge painting process for example to smooth out texture on leather so I get an even edge when painting. And I also burnish after melting wax on edges. And a good example are keepers on watch straps. I either hold them down with a ruler close to an edge or on that block I showed you, or I use a large piper clip with glued leather around the edges so I don't leave marks.

Looking forward to see your machining project. And a Datron isn't really a hobby machine lol. And that Tormach seems to be a quite good machine also (no cheap hobby machine either)

silver-metal-easel-clips-paper-clamps-ho

Edited by Danne

48 minutes ago, Danne said:

Even though I paint all my edges, I still burnish, like I burnish the edges during the edge painting process for example to smooth out texture on leather so I get an even edge when painting. And I also burnish after melting wax on edges. And a good example are keepers on watch straps. I either hold them down with a ruler close to an edge or on that block I showed you, or I use a large piper clip with glued leather around the edges so I don't leave marks.

Looking forward to see your machining project. And a Datron isn't really a hobby machine lol. And that Tormach seems to be a quite good machine also (no cheap hobby machine either)

silver-metal-easel-clips-paper-clamps-ho

Thanks. My goal is to have a nice burnished edge without any paint. I like the "raw" but finished look (for nato strap).

Yes, Tormach are very good tbh. The 440 is the smaller one but I mill titanium and stainless without any problem. Low HP but very rigid machine.

Not sure I understand “raw but finished”.  Maybe just dye the edges then burnish with wax.

1 hour ago, Tugadude said:

Not sure I understand “raw but finished”.  Maybe just dye the edges then burnish with wax.

Sorry, I mean no dye or paint, just burnished

10-4.  Some chrome tanned just won’t burnish to satisfaction.  Good luck!

Does somebody have a tricks for burnishing Latigo ? I heard about Tokonole, and rubbing with canvas..
And what about just leaving the edge like it is after the cut ? Any potential problem ?
I was thinking using this 3mm stitching chisel, and some 0.6mm Ritza Tiger thread, make sense ?
https://tandyleather.ca/collections/tools/products/88043-535-pro-line-diamond-stitching-chisels?variant=33548993265795

Edited by rcv1337

I would also like to know if I can use it "rough out", to get a more "suede" look, any disadvantage to do that ?
aUU4Ig2.jpg
Thanks again

My understanding is that Tokonole does not penetrate the same way water or gum trag do.  As a result you can used it to burnish most chrome tanned leather because you polishing the Tokonole rather than burnishing the leather.  I made a bag out of the OA split plank and could not burnish with gum trag or water but I was able to burnish with Tokonole.  Below are a couple of videos that I found on burnishing Chrome with Tok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGtVrUcUdYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9TBhL0D7gI

For my watch straps I either use a large clip that is designed for closing chip bags OR, I use a 2x4 that I've cut a slot into.  Depends on my mood as to which I use.  :-)

When I finish the edge of very thin leather, I have found the Black & Decker Hobby rafter table vice to be invaluable! I can clamp thin leather in it fairly deep, and burnish or paint the edges with no flop.

s-l640.jpg