Historicalbeltworks

Angelus 600 acrylic finisher bubbles

I come from the Doug Monroe school of applying finishes, and as such have use the 600 for a couple of years. Lately, as my work has become a little more complicated, I am noticing as I apply to finish it’s turning white during the application process, which is the result of little tiny bubbles. That itself wouldn’t be so bad, except that on some of the projects, especially black ones, those bubbles had a tendency of making the black finish look almost ghost like or silvery, which we do not want. I am obviously applying it incorrectly for whatever reason, and I would like some help please on what others would recommend I try. I usually use a piece of old T-shirt wrapped up really tight, so I get an even smooth surface that doesn’t end up down in the cracks of my work for when I apply the antique.   This has worked for a long time, but isn’t working now, that, or I had not noticed until now.  Thank you.

A49B6C45-2AE6-4DA6-9033-CA13248DD0F4.jpeg

i have dealt with this issue so here are some things to look at

if you have swapped tee shirts that will be the start of the issue. not knowing what chemicals the shirt have come in contact with will change the adhesion/composition of the finish. this includes laundry detergents or soaps

if the finish is water base you may have to dilute the finish. the finish may have changed composition from your supplier with out notice.   

air quality.... changes in humidity can also cause this to happen. think of it as painting a car, the wrong humidity in the air can cause what is known as Fish Eye in the paint, same thing is happing here  

On 1/7/2023 at 2:04 PM, Historicalbeltworks said:

I come from the Doug Monroe school of applying finishes, and as such have use the 600 for a couple of years. Lately, as my work has become a little more complicated, I am noticing as I apply to finish it’s turning white during the application process, which is the result of little tiny bubbles. That itself wouldn’t be so bad, except that on some of the projects, especially black ones, those bubbles had a tendency of making the black finish look almost ghost like or silvery, which we do not want. I am obviously applying it incorrectly for whatever reason, and I would like some help please on what others would recommend I try. I usually use a piece of old T-shirt wrapped up really tight, so I get an even smooth surface that doesn’t end up down in the cracks of my work for when I apply the antique.   This has worked for a long time, but isn’t working now, that, or I had not noticed until now.  Thank you.

A49B6C45-2AE6-4DA6-9033-CA13248DD0F4.jpeg

Did you ever get this figured out? I see you posted this in January. Did you buy any chance order this during the winter and had it shipped to you? I've read warnings that if these products freeze, then they may be ruined. So I have no idea how places like Tandy's orders this stuff, unless they stockpile in the fall to cover the winter.

On 12/10/2023 at 11:04 AM, jasonsmith said:

Did you ever get this figured out? I see you posted this in January. Did you buy any chance order this during the winter and had it shipped to you? I've read warnings that if these products freeze, then they may be ruined. So I have no idea how places like Tandy's orders this stuff, unless they stockpile in the fall to cover the winter.

If you had your location it would help for others in the same area to give reference to their experience. I get my stuff from SLC and just got a order last week but the deep freeze is just starting now. They usually as temps dip put in heat packs and so far I haven't in years past gotten a frozen anything but I'm close to all the interstates and they don't get much sitting in transit time.

14 minutes ago, Burkhardt said:

If you had your location it would help for others in the same area to give reference to their experience. I get my stuff from SLC and just got a order last week but the deep freeze is just starting now. They usually as temps dip put in heat packs and so far I haven't in years past gotten a frozen anything but I'm close to all the interstates and they don't get much sitting in transit time.

I guess I'll have to ask the leather suppliers if they put heat packs in with orders that have an acrylic sealer. Though my nearest Tandy is an hour away.

Edited by jasonsmith