Sign in to follow this  
quiltedlumber

Awl identification

Just picked up a tool box of leather stamps and some small tools . Does anyone recognize this or have information on this ?  There is no mfg ID on the tool and the storage case looks like the top cover is missing .

Thanks

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

It looks like a proportional divider leg.  Probably part of a set, or an add-on to a divider set or drafting tool set.

- Bill

This a proportional divider. I have one that looks the same. It was made in the USA by Dietzgen. I purchased it in 1959 to use for transferring dimensions from engineering parts drawings to exploded view isometric drawings. In those days IBM computers were very large mechanical machines that required parts catalogs for identifying replacement parts.  I worked at IBM for several years, drawing the exploded view drawings of the components for creating and printing the catalogs.  

I now use the divider to proportionally measure and change the size of leather patterns. Was very useful then and is still very useful today. 

Would have never guessed , just made an assumption it was one hell an awl with the diamond shaped ends . So glad you were able to set me straight , thanks for the quick response.

Look forward for the chance to use this for its intended purpose 

Thanks

Proportion dividers is a tool that’s been in use since ancient times. Do a google search for "How to use proportional dividers" to get tips and accelerate your skills. There are many more uses for it.