Bert03241

how to attach metal clip to leather holster

I did a search didn't find much help. This clip

holster clip.jpg

Two short-shank double headed ready rivets, and cover the rivet heads inside the holster with a thin piece of leather if necessary

Can sew between layers of leather using a holster plate if needed.  See 58:30 min in this video from Chris Andre.  

I would rivet it to the front decorative piece on the holster . . . which in turn would be sewn on.

But I would not buy that type of clip . . . they don't work very well for holsters.

May God bless,

Dwight

5 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

I did a search didn't find much help. This clip

Another rivet option maybe to use copper or steel rivets and cover the backside as fredk suggested or use chicago screws with locktight . That way there is less of a rivet head protruding into the clip area. 

kgg

1 hour ago, Dwight said:

I would rivet it to the front decorative piece on the holster . . . which in turn would be sewn on.

But I would not buy that type of clip . . . they don't work very well for holsters.

May God bless,

Dwight

:17:

what type of clip should I get?

2 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

Personally i would use a belt loop, and here's why after 30  years working in a prison and talking to thousands of criminals and law enforcement trainers I can tell you for a fact thugs go for your gun area first, they grab there no matter if your concealed or not and if your gun is on a clip they can get it off of you. With a loop It may take a couple minutes more to put it on in the morning but it will still be there to take off in the evening. another thing in the heat of the moment you may pull your holster out with the gun which wouldn't be good either.

Contrary to what most folks believe criminals think about this stuff as if it were their profession and some are very good at it. I know a considerable amount about criminals behavior I was in maintenance so wasn't considered a "jigger", I ran inmate work crews as well as fixing their in cell problems so they would talk freely to us often bragging and i made it a point to learn all i could from them and pass it on to everyone I can. 

37 minutes ago, Bert03241 said:

I don't get a lot of holster requests for clips . . . but this is the one I try my best to steer peopl to using.

It's strong . . . but can be manipulated a tad looser . . . fits perfect over my CCW belts I make that generally are .200 inch thick . . . or thereabouts..

The little bump at the bottom of it keeps the holster from coming out of your pants if the draw is a little tight for one reason or another. . . and it won't "jump" out of your pants running or something else.

You rivet it at the bottom . . . cut a little slot for that steel bump at the bottom . . . and let it come out of the holster leather about 3/8 of an inch from the top.

I sell them mostly for single mag holders . . . they work great.

I get em from Tandy.

May God bless,

Dwight

holster clip steel.jpg

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

Personally i would use a belt loop, and here's why after 30  years working in a prison and talking to thousands of criminals and law enforcement trainers I can tell you for a fact thugs go for your gun area first, they grab there no matter if your concealed or not and if your gun is on a clip they can get it off of you. With a loop It may take a couple minutes more to put it on in the morning but it will still be there to take off in the evening. another thing in the heat of the moment you may pull your holster out with the gun which wouldn't be good either.

Contrary to what most folks believe criminals think about this stuff as if it were their profession and some are very good at it. I know a considerable amount about criminals behavior I was in maintenance so wasn't considered a "jigger", I ran inmate work crews as well as fixing their in cell problems so they would talk freely to us often bragging and i made it a point to learn all i could from them and pass it on to everyone I can. 

Thanks Chuck but he wants a clip on it:yes:

1 hour ago, Dwight said:

I don't get a lot of holster requests for clips . . . but this is the one I try my best to steer peopl to using.

It's strong . . . but can be manipulated a tad looser . . . fits perfect over my CCW belts I make that generally are .200 inch thick . . . or thereabouts..

The little bump at the bottom of it keeps the holster from coming out of your pants if the draw is a little tight for one reason or another. . . and it won't "jump" out of your pants running or something else.

You rivet it at the bottom . . . cut a little slot for that steel bump at the bottom . . . and let it come out of the holster leather about 3/8 of an inch from the top.

I sell them mostly for single mag holders . . . they work great.

I get em from Tandy.

May God bless,

Dwight

holster clip steel.jpg

Thanks Dwight I've ordered one of  these type.

1 minute ago, Bert03241 said:

Thanks Chuck but he wants a clip on it:yes:

Hey if you want to make it that's no skin off me i felt i had to say something some folks just don't think full circle when it comes to carrying a weapon that could get a guy in any number of legal or deadly problems if you lose it drop it or it gets taken. Anyone i make a holster for gets my opinion with it and if I don't think it will work I don't make it just that simple to much liability.

20 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Hey if you want to make it that's no skin off me i felt i had to say something some folks just don't think full circle when it comes to carrying a weapon that could get a guy in any number of legal or deadly problems if you lose it drop it or it gets taken. Anyone i make a holster for gets my opinion with it and if I don't think it will work I don't make it just that simple to much liability.

I guess I've been fortunate . . . never had anyone truly bust a gut going against my advice.

But also . . . I only use these clips for smaller guns . . . and only if it is an IWB . . . like say a Shield . . . would not use it for a 1911 or a Python or anything similar in size and weight.

May God bless,

Dwight

31 minutes ago, Dwight said:

I guess I've been fortunate . . . never had anyone truly bust a gut going against my advice.

But also . . . I only use these clips for smaller guns . . . and only if it is an IWB . . . like say a Shield . . . would not use it for a 1911 or a Python or anything similar in size and weight.

May God bless,

Dwight

Maybe you have my friend I'm not busting a gut Dwight but i am serious about the subject. Why?  I've just met people and seen things in life that most of the good people in the world haven't. A good healthy man wanting to take away any size gun, on a clip only has to grab it long enough to give a decent yank and its theirs. i cant in good conscience say other wise i think as holster makers we should be able to discuss openly and freely gun safety and the ability of your holster to keep your weapon safe and secure in a down and dirty tussle don't you? After all its the main job of the fighting type holster and the responsibility of the concealed carry owner. 

God bless you Pastor.

6 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Maybe you have my friend I'm not busting a gut Dwight but i am serious about the subject. Why?  I've just met people and seen things in life that most of the good people in the world haven't. A good healthy man wanting to take away any size gun, on a clip only has to grab it long enough to give a decent yank and its theirs. i cant in good conscience say other wise i think as holster makers we should be able to discuss openly and freely gun safety and the ability of your holster to keep your weapon safe and secure in a down and dirty tussle don't you? After all its the main job of the fighting type holster and the responsibility of the concealed carry owner. 

God bless you Pastor.

Well . . . I guess I see it from the other side of the tracks . . . 

Nobody is going to grab my gun . . . unless they take it out of my hand.  Reason??  I keep it securely and seriously out of sight to any and all who may be looking.

I carry concealed . . . as do virtually all of my customers . . . and the only time a perp should even know we have a gun is when he is looking at the hole in the end of the barrel and wondering if it is a 9, a 40, a 10mm, a 45 . . . or one of them .50 cal sodbuster guns.

I do fully appreciate the fact that there are people who would grab one any time they got the chance . . . and some of those folks are downright ugly, dirty, mean, and nasty.

I truly believe the odds are in the favor of the guy who keeps his cool . . . like the dude down in Tx (?) last week . . . in the taco joint . . . dude comes in and robs all the patrons . . . including our hero.  Our hero allows him to do what he wants until he seems to really threaten this other customer . . . hero pulls out the pistola and pops him 8 or 9 times . . . including a head buster on the ground.  Perp had no clue if hero's gun was in a holster . . . on a clip . . . or what . . . until it was too late . . . lead was flying and he was doing a serious internal bleeding program.

That is the scenario I make my customer's holsters for . . . keeping the peace thru effectively applied violence.

May God bless,

Dwight

On 1/9/2023 at 12:26 PM, chuck123wapati said:

God bless you Pastor.

What's the difference in that or them just drawing it from your holster?  It's about the same amount of force for a level 1 holster.  Which most CC holsters are.  And someone with just a little skill can do it with a retention holster.  Had a cop take mine out of a SERPA scary fast.  And before anyone gets wound up he asked and I agreed since I needed the accident report he was getting ready to fill out for me.  And he was cool about the entire thing as well.  I would have had it secured but he got there way faster than I expected and I was outside the car.  

2 hours ago, chiefjason said:

What's the difference in that or them just drawing it from your holster?  It's about the same amount of force for a level 1 holster.  Which most CC holsters are.  And someone with just a little skill can do it with a retention holster.  Had a cop take mine out of a SERPA scary fast.  And before anyone gets wound up he asked and I agreed since I needed the accident report he was getting ready to fill out for me.  And he was cool about the entire thing as well.  I would have had it secured but he got there way faster than I expected and I was outside the car. 

You admit that it is easy and very possible to do so you want to make it easier? or the same easiness? or harder? sorry I don't see your point here.

Maybe I'm ignorant to its value at the time of most need so I gave several of the cons of using one now give me  the pros. What makes it better than a loop on a holster you use in a defensive weapon scenario? 

I understand the issue however I'm that way with seatbelts I don't need the extra bit of safety  because I'm not planning to wreck and man all that work to buckle and unbuckle every time you want in or out. 

Bottom line friend is its your house paint it whatever color you want. 

When I install a metal clip on a leather holster, I use the ones from HolsterSmith.com (they'll also hook you up with all the hardware needed...just tell them the thickness of leather you are working with). They look like the cheap ?FOMI? ones but they don't break...they allow you to take the rig on/off easily as necessary while holding securely to the gunbelt. I've made quite a few of these for folks and have never had complaints.

FullSizeRender-16.jpg

4 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

You admit that it is easy and very possible to do so you want to make it easier? or the same easiness? or harder? sorry I don't see your point here.

Maybe I'm ignorant to its value at the time of most need so I gave several of the cons of using one now give me  the pros. What makes it better than a loop on a holster you use in a defensive weapon scenario? 

I understand the issue however I'm that way with seatbelts I don't need the extra bit of safety  because I'm not planning to wreck and man all that work to buckle and unbuckle every time you want in or out. 

Bottom line friend is its your house paint it whatever color you want. 

It's not easier IMO.  I'm saying it's all the same.  You mentioned earlier not thinking full circle.  So how hard is it to actually draw from one of your loop holsters?  I'm assuming as a level 1 holster it's just friction.  Meaning about the same effort as removing a clipped holster and gun.  Taking a concealed clipped on IWB holster from someone or drawing a gun from a concealed OWB holster; or even a looped on IWB holster is all about the same.  My IWB leather uses mostly nylon clips and they are downright annoying to remove when I want to take them off.  I use loops too.  I do whatever the customer wants because I see no difference in safety.  If someone has gotten that close and gotten their hands on the gun or holster is not the holster maker that has failed here.  

In the end I don't care what you or anyone else uses.  I just think your argument is false and only half thought through.  The other half being, exactly how hard is it to just draw a holstered firearm?  And is that draw stroke more difficult than removing a clipped on holster?  I don't think it is.  

Personally, if I'm going for a gun I'm going for the gun.  Not the holster.  I don't care how it's attached.  

8 minutes ago, chiefjason said:

Personally, if I'm going for a gun I'm going for the gun.  Not the holster.  I don't care how it's attached.  

I guess you have no pros to offer. 

my point exactly grab the gun held on by a secure loop you may not get it, grab a gun held on by a ten cent piece of tin or in the serpas case plastic you prolly will.

Bottom line friend is its your house paint it whatever color you want. I wont argue the point any longer the guy asked i gave my opinion, you can as well. 

Btw your Serpa has been banned by multiple law enforcement associations.

Here is some truly good info on the off topic subject of understanding gun retention.   https://www.targetbarn.com/broad-side/holster-retention/

14 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

I guess you have no pros to offer. 

my point exactly grab the gun held on by a secure loop you may not get it, grab a gun held on by a ten cent piece of tin or in the serpas case plastic you prolly will.

Bottom line friend is its your house paint it whatever color you want. I wont argue the point any longer the guy asked i gave my opinion, you can as well. 

Btw your Serpa has been banned by multiple law enforcement associations.

So, if the holster does not come out with the clip on the draw then it's not easier to get the holster than it is to get the gun.  Maybe that's a better way to explain it.  

Guess that's the pro.  If you can draw the gun and the holster stays put then the attachment is pretty irrelevant.  The gun is coming out first.  If you draw the gun and the holster comes out, then you have an issue to fix.  Clips are also fast to attach and easy to deal with.  I've had older customers struggle with DOT snaps.  They can take some breaking in.  For the maker, clips are cheap.  And sometimes cheaper to replace depending on how they are mounted.  There are clips I won't use that are not suitable for holsters or for what I need in a clip.  But that silver style of clip is not one of them.  I use them a lot for clip on mag holders as well.  On a decent gun belt they get a solid grip on the bottom of the belt.  Not as good as the nylon ones I use on the holsters but it take some prying to get the mag holders off.  

And I'm not even sure where that Serpa is anymore.  I think it's behind the seat of my truck as a backup.  Then again, the G19 is a backup gun and that's what it fits.  

4 hours ago, chiefjason said:

So, if the holster does not come out with the clip on the draw then it's not easier to get the holster than it is to get the gun.  Maybe that's a better way to explain it.  

Guess that's the pro.  If you can draw the gun and the holster stays put then the attachment is pretty irrelevant.  The gun is coming out first.  If you draw the gun and the holster comes out, then you have an issue to fix.  Clips are also fast to attach and easy to deal with.  I've had older customers struggle with DOT snaps.  They can take some breaking in.  For the maker, clips are cheap.  And sometimes cheaper to replace depending on how they are mounted.  There are clips I won't use that are not suitable for holsters or for what I need in a clip.  But that silver style of clip is not one of them.  I use them a lot for clip on mag holders as well.  On a decent gun belt they get a solid grip on the bottom of the belt.  Not as good as the nylon ones I use on the holsters but it take some prying to get the mag holders off.  

And I'm not even sure where that Serpa is anymore.  I think it's behind the seat of my truck as a backup.  Then again, the G19 is a backup gun and that's what it fits.  

you know I wasn't really talking about the the holster staying in or on your pants when you draw the gun any five dollar wally mart special will do that so that's not really a pro that's just the normal function of any holster. i was talking about having the gun still on you when you really need it the most and ending up still having it when you get home from even the worst case scenario especially if its built and its use is for a possible fight. I will leave it at this every person has a standard, whether its built on fact or opinion or short stories in a magazine. Its theirs and theirs alone , my standard for a good holster is obviously more stringent than yours and includes the reality that someone may try and take it. No big deal cheap  or cheaper and easier because you can replace them doesn't fit in my standard of a good holster that's all and if i wont personally use it because i feel its unsafe then i wont make it for a customer and i wont recommend them for a build its just that simple. 

I know folks use them i know they are very common with older folks they have their place I'm sure in the holster world but IMO not on a gun holster and especially not one built solely for self defense. I have my standards and i wont budge on that but I don't care if anyone builds them or if anyone uses them, I will gladly send anyone who wants a holster built with a clip to you or anyone on here that makes them i have no problem with that.    

On 1/24/2023 at 11:11 AM, chuck123wapati said:

you know I wasn't really talking about the the holster staying in or on your pants when you draw the gun any five dollar wally mart special will do that so that's not really a pro that's just the normal function of any holster. i was talking about having the gun still on you when you really need it the most and ending up still having it when you get home from even the worst case scenario especially if its built and its use is for a possible fight. I will leave it at this every person has a standard, whether its built on fact or opinion or short stories in a magazine. Its theirs and theirs alone , my standard for a good holster is obviously more stringent than yours and includes the reality that someone may try and take it. No big deal cheap  or cheaper and easier because you can replace them doesn't fit in my standard of a good holster that's all and if i wont personally use it because i feel its unsafe then i wont make it for a customer and i wont recommend them for a build its just that simple. 

I know folks use them i know they are very common with older folks they have their place I'm sure in the holster world but IMO not on a gun holster and especially not one built solely for self defense. I have my standards and i wont budge on that but I don't care if anyone builds them or if anyone uses them, I will gladly send anyone who wants a holster built with a clip to you or anyone on here that makes them i have no problem with that.    

Yeah, you have a standard.  You can have it.  You can continue to have it.  I'm pointing this out for folks that might stumble on this to give them a counter point.  

You said a guy can take away any size gun on a clip by taking the holster and gun.

You say a $5 holster will stay put and allow you to draw the gun.  Which seems to mean it has the ability to retain the holster on the belt during the draw.  

I'm saying if the bad guy can draw the gun from the holster how it's attached is pretty irrelevant.  The weak point in the system is not the clip, it's the retention.  Your looped holster has that exact same weakness.  I think you are over selling the clip issue and underselling the obvious issue that they can just draw the gun itself.  Which you can continue to do if you like.  I'm just not a fan of burdening other makers with something that seems pretty irrelevant.  

3 hours ago, chiefjason said:

Yeah, you have a standard.  You can have it.  You can continue to have it.  I'm pointing this out for folks that might stumble on this to give them a counter point.  

You said a guy can take away any size gun on a clip by taking the holster and gun.

You say a $5 holster will stay put and allow you to draw the gun.  Which seems to mean it has the ability to retain the holster on the belt during the draw.  

I'm saying if the bad guy can draw the gun from the holster how it's attached is pretty irrelevant.  The weak point in the system is not the clip, it's the retention.  Your looped holster has that exact same weakness.  I think you are over selling the clip issue and underselling the obvious issue that they can just draw the gun itself.  Which you can continue to do if you like.  I'm just not a fan of burdening other makers with something that seems pretty irrelevant.  

whatever friend i said my piece, you did too so lets move on ok no one really really gives a crap what either of us thinks or does.