SamColt

Can I change my Singer 111 needle bar to 135x17

I have a Singer 111W154 that only get's used once in a while but I have owned it for a long time. Can I switch needle bars, or do something else to get this machine to use the 135x17 needle like the rest of my machines? I learned on it, and I enjoy the sound it makes when it's chewing thru a project.

Thank you

Should use those just as it stands. I as thinking that was the standard needle system for 111. 

24 minutes ago, 327fed said:

Should use those just as it stands. I as thinking that was the standard needle system for 111. 

Some of the 111 models used 126x11

I don´t know if there is anything special on a 111w154 but if 126x11 has the same shank diameter as 135x17 you only have to adjust the needle bar height and you do not need a new needle bar.

EDIT:

This guy here has a 111w154 as well and says at sec 0:26 he is using 135x17 so it should not be a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dS_tfBNN_s

Edited by Constabulary

21 hours ago, SamColt said:

I have a Singer 111W154 that only get's used once in a while but I have owned it for a long time. Can I switch needle bars, or do something else to get this machine to use the 135x17 needle like the rest of my machines? I learned on it, and I enjoy the sound it makes when it's chewing thru a project.

Thank you

Yes,we have the needlebars in stock that will allow you to use the larger shank 135x17 needles.

4 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

Yes,we have the needlebars in stock that will allow you to use the larger shank 135x17 needles.

Thanks Bob, so does the needlebar you have to use the 135x17 needle make up for the 8mm difference in needle length?

Thank You

23 hours ago, 327fed said:

11 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

Just for the records - what shank diameter has 126x11? I have not found any data on 126x11.

I threw my last 126x11 away so I cant measure it, but I would like to know as well. I will see if I can come up with it.

16 minutes ago, SamColt said:

I threw my last 126x11 away so I cant measure it, but I would like to know as well. I will see if I can come up with it.

It's .007 or .187mm smaller than a 135x17

13 hours ago, SamColt said:

Thanks Bob, so does the needlebar you have to use the 135x17 needle make up for the 8mm difference in needle length?

Thank You

Same length & even if it was easy to adjust by adjusting height of the needlebar when you install it.The main reason to change is you will have no problems getting needles in any size & points you want real easy.

9 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

Same length & even if it was easy to adjust by adjusting height of the needlebar when you install it.The main reason to change is you will have no problems getting needles in any size & points you want real easy.

Ok, learning moment for me. Are you saying I can adjust the 8mm dfference in needles by adjusting the needle bar 8mm? In my mind it would seem the 8mm would cause my needle timing to be late.

On 1/9/2023 at 1:59 PM, CowboyBob said:

Thank You

On 1/8/2023 at 6:52 PM, 327fed said:

10 hours ago, SamColt said:

Thank You

I think your over thinking it.The length of the needle doesn't matter as long as it's not too long & will hit on the upstroke OR too short & hit the feet over a thick seam.I have changed alot of 111W154's over the years to the common 135x17,you instali the new needlebar,set the height so the hook comes in 1/8" above to eye & sew with it!