Dwight

Clean smoke smelling coat

I found a really nice US Navy leather jacket . . . bought it . . . didn't notice the cigarette smell until I got home with it.

Anyone got a foolproof way to clean it without hurting it??

Lady said it was her dad's but he did not wear it hardly at all . . . then when he lost a bunch of weight . . . never wore it again.

Just need a bit of help on this one . . . thanks.

May God bless, 

Dwight

I have heard horror stories both from folks who tried to clean leather coats at home and through professionals.  So proceed with caution I guess.  Personally I would seek out an established garment cleaner who says they specialize in leather.  But I would still check their feedback, which is usually able to be done through online reviews.  

Good luck, they only have one chance to do it right.

Edit:  just occurred to me maybe a fire restoration company might be worth asking.

Edited by Tugadude

Hi Dwight, huge fan of your wealth of knowledge. Hopefully this will help.

I would take the jacket and put it in some kind of airtight container with charcoal and leave it for a couple of weeks. Make sure it’s natural charcoal, usually the cheapest I can find at the grocery store with no lighter fluid on it, and keep an eye out for humidity and mold. The charcoal should have a neutral or clean smell. If it’s humid, I would air it out every few days or more.

I used this approach with a freezer that was in storage for a while that smelled like old meat and fish so strong it was nauseating. Charcoal on a sheet pan for a couple of weeks worked really well. I have used it since to clean out fridge odors and it works great too.

At worst you’re out $10, and it won’t damage the jacket. Let us know how it turns out and good luck!

My wife's first husband had a leather bomber jacket that had a pretty heavy smoke odor (he was a heavy smoker).  Before I started to wear it we just hung it outside in the sun for a while.  I think it took a couple weeks, but the odor eventually dissipated.  But I think the charcoal idea will probably work even better.

/dwight

Thanks, Guys . . . 

I did the saddle soap routine on it I think 3 times  . . .  hung it out in the sun . . . 

I'm thinking there is a smoker out there who would like a leather jacket cheap.  

It is absolutely nauseating in a closed up car with the heater on . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight,

You may try this. I use "Ozium" neutralizer on my laser cut wood products.

Available in most hardware stores in a small spray can.

Ferg