Klara

Cutting that makes my jaw drop

Have you seen this guy ? Nope, it's not leather work, but I am dreaming of having some of his tools. And skills. Actually, I will try the cutter blade in the edge of the work bench - should work (there's another video where a nail stops the blade from coming back out), though I can't believe how easily cut his blades through tire rubber. And does anybody know what the grip is he uses for the groover cut from a razor blade?

Clever idea. This guy would be awesome help for replacing stall mats. 

Or even just his blades. I'm pretty sure that the ones I have don't cut so well. The other question I had was about the tires: Aren't our tires reinforced with some textile (or wire?) material? Those ones look like pure rubber. I might have to talk to my car mechanic...

2 hours ago, Klara said:

Or even just his blades. I'm pretty sure that the ones I have don't cut so well. The other question I had was about the tires: Aren't our tires reinforced with some textile (or wire?) material? Those ones look like pure rubber. I might have to talk to my car mechanic...

Very cool!!! i love watching stuff like that it proves what the human mind is capable of accomplishing. Sad to say but we have educated ourselves almost out of that ability here in the US.

the tire he is using is called retreading if you know what that is, they take worn out tires grind off the old tread and put new tread on.https://indagrubber.com/home/retread that part of tthe tire has no wire or anything in it. 

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

Very cool!!! i love watching stuff like that it proves what the human mind is capable of accomplishing.

Proves "Necessity is the mother of invention". That is definitely a KISS approach. That piece of rubber was probably left over from retreading a truck tire, waste not want not.

14 hours ago, Klara said:

Nope, it's not leather work, but I am dreaming of having some of his tools.

Thanks for sharing.

kgg

Pretty ingenious for sure.  captivating watching the process.

21 hours ago, Klara said:

Have you seen this guy ? Nope, it's not leather work, but I am dreaming of having some of his tools. And skills. Actually, I will try the cutter blade in the edge of the work bench - should work (there's another video where a nail stops the blade from coming back out), though I can't believe how easily cut his blades through tire rubber. And does anybody know what the grip is he uses for the groover cut from a razor blade?

Very cool. Thanks for the video.

I have seen that done with leather straps. I think a leather footbed was glued on also.

either way,,,,It shows that much can be done without a huge cost in tools.

Joel

10 hours ago, Klara said:

Stall mats in the US are typically 3/4 in. thick rubber with no fiber.  They often have grooves or some texture on the bottom that could serve as tread for a sandal.  They can be cut fairly easily in warm weather using a regular utility knife, although it takes me several passes with the knife.  Helps to bend the rubber slightly away from from blade to relieve friction.  

That definitely is a process what will deserve and receive some "experimentation".

Thank you Klara for posting this . . . it made an otherwise hum drum day . . . a little more exciting.

May God bless,

Dwight

You are welcome, I'm glad you like it :)

I have watched several videos of the folks in India making a living sorting thru the dumps, collecting trash and recycling it into real actual usable products.

Dirt track racing tires have fiber reinforcement but no steel. Folks who make recylced tire door mats use them when the racers are through with them. 

On 1/11/2023 at 4:59 AM, Klara said:

I like videos like this. Shows that fancy expensive tools don't always mean anything. Cheap home brew tools in skilled hands.

Are you genuinely asking what blades he might be using?(sorry i couldn't tell if your asking what he was using was sarcasm or not lol)  Try a few different brands of utility knife blades. Try brand name and cheap ones, there's different steel as well. Razor blades as well for the groover and some whatever the heck handle and a hose clamp with a knob attached.

The rubber looks like retread material. Metal beads are only on side walls generally. Not all retread has any canvas/material layering. 

So a fresh sharp utility knife, even a dollar store one, would cut like butter, initially. Lasting sharpness is another thing.

Can buy 1/2" rubber stall mats at farm stores.  They won't have tire tread but typically one side is textured and the other might have shallow grooves (to channel pee).  They're not hard to cut, at least in a straight line, using a sharp utility knife.  I usually put a scrap of plywood under the mat next to the cut line so I can bend the rubber slightly and remove pressure/friction from the blade.   

18 hours ago, SpruceMoose said:

Are you genuinely asking what blades he might be using?(sorry i couldn't tell if your asking what he was using was sarcasm or not lol) 

Yes, I was seriously asking because I am generally unhappy with utility knife blades...

6 hours ago, Klara said:

Yes, I was seriously asking because I am generally unhappy with utility knife blades...

I suppose it depends on the material you work with, if heavier leathers or ultra thin, more specialized dedicated knives would be the route.  With the leather type and weight i work I've been happy with brand name utility knives and blades for 10 years, but there are better ways. Head knives of course, like many of the experienced folks here use, i just haven't gotten around to practicing with it, and being so comfortable with utility. There's also those knives like the Vergez Blanchard L'Indispensable Brass Knife and many other styles and types, cobbler knives etc that many here use. Someone with more knife experience could offer some great advice if you made a post i'm sure. Searching for the perfect knife can be a rabbit hole!

6 hours ago, Klara said:

I routinely strop my utility knife blades (and even the cheap snap off blades). Gets them sharper and last longer.  I will strop even before 1st use.

I have enough knives I am happy enough with (but no boxcutters), and if I am unhappy, it's because I haven't sharpened them well enough. But cutting through tires like that is in a different league,  IMHO.