Gosut

Leather Craft Tool Kit Thread

I've decided the best way I can save money getting started is to get one of those inexpensive leather kits and some jeweler's rouge and automotive fine grit sandpaper for sharpening. As seems common with these kits, they come with thread. Is this thread any good or should I buy thread separately, as I plan to do for the needles?

Who knows?  I don’t mean to be a smart aleck but you haven’t identified a specific kit.  Some probably feature decent thread while I’m sure others don’t.

My suggestion is to check out Springfield Leather and their Rhino Thread.  Nice-sized spools for cheap and it is decent quality woven polyester thread.  You also need to decide what size thread is suitable for what you need it for.

what sort of project or projects will you be working on?

This one is a sheath for a Bowie knife. After sticker shock at the start-up cost and materials, I bought a waxed polyester thread that has good reviews, just in case. If I'm going to invest this much in the project, I don't want to ruin it with thread. My next project is likely a checkbook cover. I also need to make a custom band for a watch, but one thing at a time.

The kit is one of those lower cost ones sold on Amazon. Other purchasers say that the thread is cotton. We will see.

1 hour ago, Gosut said:

This one is a sheath for a Bowie knife. After sticker shock at the start-up cost and materials, I bought a waxed polyester thread that has good reviews, just in case. If I'm going to invest this much in the project, I don't want to ruin it with thread. My next project is likely a checkbook cover. I also need to make a custom band for a watch, but one thing at a time.

The kit is one of those lower cost ones sold on Amazon. Other purchasers say that the thread is cotton. We will see.

So you're now saying how expensive it's going to be after I listed a link for everything you need for 8.00 bucks. I listed it because I bought and used and still have and use what's included. Making up your mind on what you want and plan to do vs just a sheath is a big difference be cause I'll guarantee if you get the stitching chisels and put them through 3 pieces of 8oz veg, you'll wreck the sheath getting them out, Good luck.