Brokenolmarine

Started on Thumbhole Sling for Wife

Inspired by post several weeks ago, I ordered the patterns the poster recommended, and set them aside to complete the bucket list of stuff I had to make for Christmas for everyone else. :thinking:

I finally got the chance to start on the slings I have been waiting to knock out.  Since this is my first, I am being overly cautious.  I, of course, used the strap cutter to cut TWO pieces of leather the proper length and width for the two thumbhole slings, and then marked one from the template I had transferred.

1587461274_04pulledtworoughcuts.thumb.jpg.5a0cca16e888c549b8a6acc61a54a8a5.jpg

After the thumbhole sling pattern, I added the pattern for tooling and carving the enhancements to the sling.

1857150334_08linescutin.thumb.jpg.844f4e54062b0c2407932e22662e988c.jpg

I won't cut out the final shape of the sling until the lining is glued in and the stitching is done.  You know, ALMOST finished. LOL.

Next on the list was the beveling and carving to bring out the 3D nature of the pattern.  I worked for about an hour, then had to stop.  I am limited to the time I can work by certain challenges.  Mainly the arthritis in my hands.  Meh, I have nothing but time.

795312305_09beveled.thumb.jpg.ea60c565041c0f711d12bb4f427949dc.jpg

Miss Tina was asked if she wanted natural or mixed dyes to bring out the pattern.  She prefers the natural look, so I will put a lot more work into the tooling.  I'm still learning, so wish me luck.  I am thinking of a basket weave or quilted pattern for MY sling.

Looks like an awesome start !  Looking forward to seeing the finished product :spoton:

A little work today, in spite of the nagging headache I woke up with.  I worked on the backgrounding and more details, also sharpened some of the edges

283851926_10backgroundandaccentwork.thumb.jpg.1143469db2f1c3782c7ff090879fd794.jpg

Then I recalled why you don't spend an hour working under the lights and wearing an opti-visor. :nono:

It turns that nagging headache into a raging migraine. :bawling:

Well, Duh.

Edited by Brokenolmarine

looking good. Can''t wait to see the finished product.  May have to get that pattern.

Several more work sessions.  The pucker factor was high when I cut out the sling from that wider portion of the leather.  A simple single slip would mean starting over. :nono:  Slow... and ... steady.  I managed NOT to screw it up.  I did the snoopy dance. :yeah:  I applied the first coat of Watco Natural Oil and let it dry.

8859029_11firstcoatofnaturaloil.thumb.jpg.6519e2c8cbb60ccef316cd170d73ff6f.jpg

I wanted that tooling to really pop, so using a detail brush with a very fine tip, I dyed the backgrounded areas with Light Brown leather dye.  Once that dries completely, I'll apply a resistor coat to seal it, then coat front and back with mink oil to keep this thing as flexible as possible.

855071040_13closerlook.thumb.jpg.f003d224d0f9f1b789459d08b3a7de30.jpg

After buffing that out, I'll antique the tooling to highlight the detail, then put of full coat of finish on the sling, then burnish the edges.   Getting near the end.

Looking good!! Can't wait to see them both finished. 

Looking good so far!    Keep it up you'll be done and on to the next one in no time

3 hours ago, Rossr said:

Looking good so far!    Keep it up you'll be done and on to the next one in no time

Thank you Sir.  If you remember, it was YOUR post back in October that prompted me to order the pattern, and put the slings on my bucket list.  I told you when I ordered the pattern they would have to wait until after the knives, and then the Christmas Projects for family... but I knew I would get to them.  Well, our UPS driver dropped off a DAD package today with goodies for dad... including the swivels I ordered.  Out to the shop to finish Tina's Sling.

I used a template to verify and remark the holes for the Chicago Screws at the top and the bottom of the sling.  Then I center punched each one to eliminate (minimize?) the chance of a wandering bit.  Using the drill press I drilled all the holes for the screws, then using a scalpel to insure each hole was crisp and clean.  A cobbler's hammer reflattened the straps.  The one hole just above the tooled section got special attention.  A pilot hole then countersunk, and then a jeweled Sequin installed, it's the WIFE's sling.  Just the one, she's not all girly.  I slipped the loops in place and installed the swivels.  Looked good to me.

518349443_20swivelsandajewel.thumb.jpg.798acfc30df47c87cd807b9f8565e252.jpg

Once I was happy with everything in the shop, I took the sling inside and installed it on the CZ455 .22 the wife uses around the farm to control the varmint population.  That CZ is a tack driver, capable of one hole five shot groups at 25 yards.  Miss T was a squirrel assassin in Virginia where we had a huge problem with them raiding the two coops for chicken feed.

333477554_21Shesdone.thumb.jpg.79190ee3fb464e2e6ad13318bf02e34b.jpg

The Boss was very happy with the results of my labor.  Next up is a sling for my Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 556.  Same Pattern, different accent in the panel.  We'll see after I lay it out.  Oak Leaves and Acorns?  Basket Weave, Quilted?  Time will tell. :whistle:

Color this one... done.

Looks good and a happy wife makes for a happy life !!!!! :spoton:

Nice work Marine:thumbsup:

nicely done.  She should be proud.  Really like the CZ 22.  I have one and love it.

For sure a great job!  Really like how it came out.

Thanks all.  I have started on a practice plate for the sling for MY Bolt gun.  I had been waiting for the pattern books from Joe Meling.  I have had three sessions on the practice piece to work on the oak leaves and acorns, but we are in the middle of a winter storm, and have two more days.  Our property is a sheet of ice and the boss won't let me out on the ice.  I'm unstable in good weather.  I can't use my chair to get out there, it's uphill.  THAT would be  a Winner on America's Funniest Home Videos.

Anyway, here's where the practice panel is so far.  It's a representation of the upper section of the carved portion of the sling.  MY sling will be black, so I dyed the border black.  Of course the sling will have 1/2" borders around the carved section.  I still have to antique and finish this panel.  I started posting a step by step of the practice panel in "Resources" as I had asked where to get a good pattern for the Oak Leaves and Acorns.  I felt it only fair once I got the pattern to share the outcome there.

32313189_03thirdsession.thumb.jpg.eb1f287b487659760101c6e138eb0603.jpg

If the finished panel works for me, I'll start on the sling.  If I think I need more practice... I'll do another practice piece before starting on the sling.  Wish me luck. :yeah:

Looking good.  You must be getting the same weather we are.  Not much precipitation, but ice on roads is never fun.