ojd

Diy wax emulsion

Hi. I tried buying wax solution to no avail (without ordering from the US). I would like to avoid solvents so I did a 5 minute google "research". It turned out borax can emulsify beeswax. Since I have no impulse control whatsoever I made some emulsion.

I'm gonna test it in my machine later. A bit thicker than water, like cream.

What I did was:

-one part bees wax

-one part 10% (by weight) borax solution. I used tap water, probably better with distilled.

Heat both, until the wax has melted in a water bath. Recipe said to 70 degrees centigrade (no idea what that is in freedom units™️) but my wax melted at 78 degrees. In a third likewise heated container mix the two under vigorous stirring. Keep stirring until 40 degrees centigrade.

Obviously it's an emulsion, just gotta test if it's good as a wax.

Please try and see if it works for you.

IMG_20230116_174017193-03.jpeg

Not sure of your application -waxing thread? sealing leather? - but borax might not be leather friendly.  It dissolves in water to form a solution with a pH > 9.0.  Above 70 oC borax decomposes to unspecified compounds and gives off gases that are reportedly toxic.  https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Borax#section=Chemical-and-Physical-Properties

You said you are interested in harness making.  Assuming you want to dress and make your harness water resistant.

Use 1 part (by weight) of neatsfoot oil to 1 part (by weight) of pure beeswax . . . heat in a double boiler type container.  I use a glass jar set in water in an old small crock pot.

It works wonders on all sorts of leather . . . belts, shoes, purses, harness, billfolds . . . the list is truly great.

AND . . . it will not harm your leather.

May God bless,

Dwight

Its for wax container on machine. I do't like nears foot oil. Or any oil on leather.

51 minutes ago, TomE said:

Not sure of your application -waxing thread? sealing leather? - but borax might not be leather friendly.  It dissolves in water to form a solution with a pH > 9.0.  Above 70 oC borax decomposes to unspecified compounds and gives off gases that are reportedly toxic.  https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Borax#section=Chemical-and-Physical-Properties

In those small concentrations (i.e. 5%) it is not harmful. It is harmful to some chrometanned. Not veg tan.