Gosut

Sam Browne Stud in Knife Sheath Question

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I was unable to find the answer. I intend to use a button stud / Sam Browne stud for  a frog stud on a knife sheath. This is a first project and lining the sheath is likely beyond my skills. The button stud has screw threads, and I'm thinking if I tighten it enough I might depress the leather slightly, leaving enough space for the blade to slide clear. Is this correct or do I need to regroup?

Thanks in advance.

Lining the sheath is the ONLY way to be sure of no contact or scratches.

The screw on/in button studs will be much harder to get flush that the rivet style.

4 hours ago, sheathmaker said:

Lining the sheath is the ONLY way to be sure of no contact or scratches.

The screw on/in button studs will be much harder to get flush that the rivet style.

This is true, as an alternative you can skive around the hole for the stud on the inside, then case the leather at the hole before screwing down the stud, and add a little super glue to the threads so it won't come loose. Also, if the screw is brass, it won't harm a steel blade.

Thanks to both.

The stud is supposed to be brass. That's all I can say about it until it arrives. Have some red thread locker. Will try to recess it by skiving down around the hole and casing it, as suggested in the second post. Will try it first on a scrap, just punching a hole and putting the stud in, marking around the screw, then removing the stud and skiving. 

You can also add a round patch to the front to mount the screw in.  That would do the same thing as a liner but not as large a piece to work with.  But it would have to be stitched on before assembly of the sheath.  

If you line it the only additional stitching is to stitch.the liner at the mouth.  It's not much work really.  The outside stitch lines are enough for the rest of the sheath.  And no-one says you have to line both sides.  When I use magnets in my sheaths I just line the side to cover the magnets.  The other side is usually unlined unless there is a reason to do it.  

Lining the sheath is not that difficult . take your sheath and lay it out flat on top of your lining and cut out the lining a little larger then the sheath. then apply glue to both the lining and the sheath, and press them together, trimm off the excess lining and then sew the sheath together. Viola:thumbsup: