Sign in to follow this  
MainiacMatt

removing creases in a hide

Hi Folks,

New member here.  I make Mission style furniture and am setting up to upholster my own leather cushions.

I sewed up most of my first project on a modified Singer 66, but had to get a local sewer to finish sewing the assembly as my 66 couldn't do 4+ layers of 3 oz. hide.  Nonetheless, the project went fairly well.

I purchased my hide from an ebay seller, and while I was pleased with the quality of of the material, it had creases from being folded for shipping.  

Is there any way to remove such creases?

hide.jpg.329aacfdb9cdd27edbb53630e95e8582.jpg

1435711073_hide2.jpg.ccc65cd10bee072cefdd2b58f4b7b2dd.jpg

singer.jpg.a5de1ea0d7b2d103c0bee248395ff478.jpg

end.jpg.3ead6cc4bfe6233b8c5764249a18dad6.jpg

mc.jpg.a5b58def5794b316e9f9e82164473e7a.jpg

Edited by MainiacMatt

Wow! That looks really nice!! 

Sorry I don't have any advice about the creases. I have never dealt with that before. 

I picked up a piece of leather similar to yours on a clearance from a big box arts and crafts store about a month ago, with some folding issues although not as severe as yours.

I wet the leather on both sides, then rolled it around a large (maybe from a piece of carpet?) cardboard tube I had been using for something else.  Took two or three iterations of this, but it finally went almost completely away.  Hope that helps.

You can steam out the creases with an iron . Just be careful as you would with fabric. The chair looks great!

Great work , goes great with the background....and the Goldie  :) 

Were you able to fit a piping foot to your machine? 

Never had creases as bad as that before. Perhaps stretch the hide somehow,  moisten it and put it in a warm ( not hot)  sun?  Leave it for a day or so?? :dunno:

HS

2 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Were you able to fit a piping foot to your machine? 

HS

Yes... The Singer 66 seems to take "standard" foot attachments and I had no problem sewing up the piping .  And I could sew the piping to the end panels, but that's as far as I could go, due to the machine stalling when attempting 4 layers.  A local guy who specializes in replacing zippers in coats helped me finish it up, but not all of his seams were straight and the top corners of the back rest look funny.

I work for an industrial packaging company that has a foam fab. shop, so I'm able to source and CNC wire cut foam on the cheap...    So I'm looking for a compound feed machine that could handle the leather sewing, and then I'd have control over the entire process.

Next up is a matching Ottoman and Coffee table.  Then I may build another set on speculation and see if I can sell it.

Sadly, Skipper has since gone to the happy hunting grounds.  I miss him every day.