Ddat

Rifle stock cover and scope caps

Here in the Pacific northwest I needed something to cover my scope lenses and cover the riser block for my cheek.

23099.jpeg

Nicely done. 

Thanks

oh heck yea!! very nice

Nice. What’s the dye/finish?

Fiebings dye, the one they allow in California. I just use SNO seal as a final finish on my projects. Hiked a few hours in the rain and my lenses were perfectly dry and clear

So what. Dye is allowed in California, is it pro dye or the NON-pro dye. And who is making such odd decisions for free citizens???????

9 hours ago, Ddat said:

Fiebings dye, the one they allow in California. I just use SNO seal as a final finish on my projects. Hiked a few hours in the rain and my lenses were perfectly dry and clear

53 minutes ago, Doc Reaper said:

So what. Dye is allowed in California, is it pro dye or the NON-pro dye. And who is making such odd decisions for free citizens???????

the kind you get when you finally OD

16 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

the kind you get when you finally OD

No, seriously! Or is this a harsh response????

35 minutes ago, Doc Reaper said:

No, seriously! Or is this a harsh response????

just my old prison humor showing thru. sorry.

Are you saying that they would use this to get high? I’m seriously trying to find out what they use in California vs every other state. 

3 hours ago, Doc Reaper said:

The problem is the VOC level. This is limited by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). 

Due to VOC regulations in the state of California this item cannot be shipped to a California address.

Please do not add it to your shopping cart if you have a California shipping address – the order will not be fulfilled.

Fiebing's Pro dye is a definite no no. For the Leather Dye, some online vendors will sell it, others will not.

There is a similar problem with the Fiebing's Antique Paste. Some vendors will sell it, others will not.

1 minute ago, GatoGordo said:

The problem is the VOC level. This is limited by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). 

Fiebing's Pro dye is a definite no no. For the Leather Dye, some online vendors will sell it, others will not.

There is a similar problem with the Fiebing's Antique Paste. Some vendors will sell it, others will not.

Yep that's right. Tried to get Angelus dyes and paint... They can't ship to a California address. Their factory is in Los Angeles. We also can't get certain species of skins/hides, the only state to require copper bullets for hunting, and can't get most of the firearms people can get in every other state. Try buying a vehicle in another state and bringing it to California for a real good time.

3 hours ago, Doc Reaper said:

It's a low-voc formulation. Works ok. Uniformed voters vote in politicians that turn the screws.

52 minutes ago, Ddat said:

Yep that's right. Tried to get Angelus dyes and paint... They can't ship to a California address.

Wow, you are right! I used to buy Angelus dye until they stopped selling it in pints. Just checked and they no longer ship to California. 

that is beautiful.  May have to give one of those a try. 

Very nice! Is it saddle stitched or machine? Can you show the caps more? I've looking at doing some for myself. I only saddle stitch.

Thanks again

Edited by DaveP

5 hours ago, DaveP said:

Very nice! Is it saddle stitched or machine? Can you show the caps more? I've looking at doing some for myself. I only saddle stitch.

Thanks again

I only saddle stitch at this point, as well. When I get back home I'll post some better pictures of the caps for you. Then you can see the mistakes haha.

1 hour ago, Ddat said:

I only saddle stitch at this point, as well. When I get back home I'll post some better pictures of the caps for you. Then you can see the mistakes haha.

There are no mistakes in leather working. just added character for a more rustic look.

@DaveP here is a close up of one of the caps. I used 2 pieces of 2-3oz. For the tubular section. 

23156.jpeg

23154.jpeg

Thanks for the close ups of the caps! They look great!!

On 1/23/2023 at 4:45 PM, Ddat said:

@DaveP here is a close up of one of the caps. I used 2 pieces of 2-3oz. For the tubular section. 

23156.jpeg

23154.jpeg

That's awesome, thanks for posting these.  I just got a M84 scope for my M1D Garand, and I was thinking of making a scope cover for it.  Good Job, it looks great!

33 minutes ago, Littlef said:

That's awesome, thanks for posting these.  I just got a M84 scope for my M1D Garand, and I was thinking of making a scope cover for it.  Good Job, it looks great!

Thanks. It's a game-changer, for sure.

Nice work. I'm gonna try to duplicate the scope covers. I did make a riser with cartridge holder similar to yours. I used the Wyoming-legal Pro Dye, it worked great. The whole thing was made from scraps. The cartridge holder has them pointed forward. The flap hides the shine.  I really admire the use of different dyes to match the camo laminate!

riser2.jpg

3 hours ago, Wyowally said:

Nice work. I'm gonna try to duplicate the scope covers. I did make a riser with cartridge holder similar to yours. I used the Wyoming-legal Pro Dye, it worked great. The whole thing was made from scraps. The cartridge holder has them pointed forward. The flap hides the shine.  I really admire the use of different dyes to match the camo laminate!

riser2.jpg

Nice. I like the cut_back at the rest of the riser. I measured the circumference and then subtracted 1/8"... It stretched and made the stitches look like crap but I was afraid of them slipping off inadvertently. 

I was messing with gradient dying and it happened to work, thanks for noticing.