Redbeeerd

Singer 29, worth the asking price?

I have been offered to buy this for $200. I know (from what I've been told here) its limitations, but one of my main goals is to some day make a pair of boots or shoes. Will it work as a crutch for sewing other stuff or is it too much of a hassle? 

It has been in use until recently, the company is closing shop and selling off their stuff so it should be in working order.

2023-01-18-17-17-22-171.jpg

Edited by Redbeeerd

I have one just like it except yours look nicer.

I would buy it without hesitation!

I have made a couple of chaps on mine, and repaired numerous riding boots (changing the zippers in them). For sewing leather where you don't want to leave a mark from the gripping teeth of the presser foot, I tried to mount a bit of heat shrink tube on each of the toes of the presser foot. That worked really well. 

Go for it!

buy it.

I wouldn't hesitate. Those bases alone are worth that price and are hard to come.

kgg

Thanks for all your input, will pick it up if I can solve shipping before they sell to someone else (20 hour drive round trip)

What 29K model is it - 29Kxx?

The compete top tension unit is missing (still available) + the front drive shaft with bevel gear (available for 29k71 but I´m sure if tit will work with this hand wheel) but maybe the parts are in the drawer?

Ask for a picture of the rear side and check if the long leaf spring is present - except it is a 29K51 then it has a coil spring in the head.

Do you have more pictures?

Edited by Constabulary

You definitely should ask for more photos showing close-ups of the top, left front and rear side. Ask about any missing parts.

I know it's a long drive. But, shipping a machine like this without proper boxing and strapping on a pallet could lead to utter destruction.

@Constabulary I think the top tension unit is the one sitting on the side of the head? I know that my machine at home has the possibility to put the tension discs there (I don't know what the advantage is by doing it though).  But I could be wrong.

brgds Jonas

3 hours ago, Mulesaw said:

@Constabulary I think the top tension unit is the one sitting on the side of the head? I know that my machine at home has the possibility to put the tension discs there (I don't know what the advantage is by doing it though).  But I could be wrong.

brgds Jonas

I don't see the split stud on top where the top tension unit should attach. The ring is there that lifts it when the foot lifter is engaged. This is how the thread tension is released to remove the work. The only tensioner is on the front face. It is used to tension the bobbin winder and also for darning. You can use that tensioner to sew but will have to pull the thread out manually to remove the work. There is a chance that the stud was unscrewed and placed in the parts drawer. There's also a chance it got broken off and the base is still screwed into the head. Or, it has been removed and is missing.

In my experience, the first part to break off a patcher is usually the front mounted darning tensioner.

8 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

I don't see the split stud on top where the top tension unit should attach. The ring is there that lifts it when the foot lifter is engaged. This is how the thread tension is released to remove the work. The only tensioner is on the front face. It is used to tension the bobbin winder and also for darning. You can use that tensioner to sew but will have to pull the thread out manually to remove the work. There is a chance that the stud was unscrewed and placed in the parts drawer. There's also a chance it got broken off and the base is still screwed into the head. Or, it has been removed and is missing.

In my experience, the first part to break off a patcher is usually the front mounted darning tensioner.

Thanks Wiz, That makes a lot of sense, I'll have to see if something is missing from my machine then, because I have to do just that manually pulling to remove my work as opposed on my newer K29 long arm (can't remember the exact model number in my head).

I always thought that it was an upgrade on the newer machines. Learned something new again :-)

Brgds Jonas

16 hours ago, Redbeeerd said:

I have been offered to buy this for $200

I know currencies are different, but that would be around $750 + in Australia .It looks to be in great condition,  and well looked after .

I'd snap that up in a second :yes: Buy It !!!! Just the machines alone are worth more than that without the stand. 

HS