Klara

Sleeve for nail files

Two years ago I wondered why so many knife rolls had the handles in the pocket and the blades exposed, now I think I know: Because the makers had the same question I have now: How does one stop the point from poking through the pocket?

I want to make a simple knife roll type thingy for two nail files and a polishing board, in order to replace the plastic pocket they came in (which they poked through). I do not want to make the wonderful but fairly complex manicure case in The Art of Making Leather Cases (vol. 2, I think).

I was thinking about simply folding over the leather at the bottom for the pockets, sewing the edges closed and the separations between the files - classic tool roll design. But I am wondering how long such a construction will last. Does anybody have better ideas?

Maybe not a better idea .......... just different .

Well if I understand right  I would sew it up and then figure a way to add a small amount of epoxy in the very bottom of pocket  in an open position and allow to harden . I think this would prevent ( poke through ) and provide a small amount of space for movement .   Good luck with whatever you come up with !!!!!!!! 

32 minutes ago, Klara said:

Two years ago I wondered why so many knife rolls had the handles in the pocket and the blades exposed, now I think I know: Because the makers had the same question I have now: How does one stop the point from poking through the pocket?

I must disagree with this idea. A chef's knife is no sharper than a good field knife and they don't 'poke' holes in their sheaths

One reason I think for having the blades exposed is that in sets of high quality chefs knives all have the exact same handle. By exposing the blades the chef can pick his/her knife easier.

My #1 has a top quality set of knives and they all have the exact same handle and except for maybe two of the set all the blades are a similar length. He keeps the knives in a box in a drawer so he can select one easily. He tried to use a knife block but he found he was pulling out each knife in turn until he found the one he needed

3 hours ago, Klara said:

I want to make a simple knife roll type thingy for two nail files and a polishing board, in order to replace the plastic pocket they came in (which they poked through). I do not want to make the wonderful but fairly complex manicure case in The Art of Making Leather Cases (vol. 2, I think).

I was thinking about simply folding over the leather at the bottom for the pockets, sewing the edges closed and the separations between the files - classic tool roll design. But I am wondering how long such a construction will last. Does anybody have better ideas?

use a welt in it.  sew in a small thickness of leather into the bottom about 3/8ths" wide  so the tips will hit that instead of the bottom of the roll. 

i doubt highly that your nail files will punch through leather as easily as the plastic they came with  at least the ones over here wouldn't they have a very blunt point unlike a knife.

2 hours ago, fredk said:

a good field knife and they don't 'poke' holes in their sheaths

I always thought that knife sheaths were constructed with a welt to avoid poking holes.

2 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

sew in a small thickness of leather into the bottom about 3/8ths" wide  so the tips will hit that instead of the bottom of the roll

Oh yes, you are right, I can just sew in a flat piece of leather. I was hung up on the fold and how to do it with thicker leather, and... Thanks!