Redbeeerd

What Singer model is this?

Heya!

The seller can't find a serial number on it. Based on my limited knowledge it looks like it's made for lighter work perhaps? In working condition and 50 bucks.

1811472713_Screenshot_20230119-1847323.thumb.png.ca86ea2472d858d751b9aa160da051a0.png

Edited by Redbeeerd

34 minutes ago, Redbeeerd said:

The seller can't find a serial number on it.

Tell the seller the serial number is typically located on the bed directly below the Singer badge and adjacent to the pillar.

A good video on locating the serial number on Singer machines: "Dating your vintage Singer sewing machine" 

kgg

58 minutes ago, kgg said:

Tell the seller the serial number is typically located on the bed directly below the Singer badge and adjacent to the pillar.

A good video on locating the serial number on Singer machines: "Dating your vintage Singer sewing machine" 

kgg

Thanks, I'll let him know!

I've managed to identify it as a model 12k with a fiddle base. Trying to find out what year now. The seller couldn't find a serial number even with directions.

I've found a partial serial number starting with 77, no letter. That would make it a Singer 12 from 1871.

Also, it has a double, two row serial number. 

Fun detectivework!

1 hour ago, Redbeeerd said:

Also, it has a double, two row serial number. 

Fun detectivework!

Pre-1900 Singer used a strictly numeric serial number.  They ended around 16,800,000 in 1899.  Anything without a letter, predates that. Anything starting with a letter, is 1900+.

But, somewhere I read about Singers with 2 serials and which one to use. Damned if I can remember where.  For 50 US dollars, I'd have broken my shoulder getting my wallet out and hoping the seller didn't sober up before I had it loaded.

That is a domestic sewing machine, not intended for leather work.

Edited by AlZilla
the cool factor

3 minutes ago, AlZilla said:

Pre-1900 Singer used a strictly numeric serial number.  They ended around 16,800,000 in 1899.  Anything without a letter, predates that. Anything starting with a letter, is 1900+.

But, somewhere I read about Singers with 2 serials and which one to use. Damned if I can remember where.  For 50 US dollars, I'd have broken my shoulder getting my wallet out and hoping the seller didn't sober up before I had it loaded.

That is a domestic sewing machine, not intended for leather work.

I'm probably buying it just because it's a damn cool machine! 

In Scotland the lower serial was an internal factory number identifying the particular class  according to Ismacs. Since I'm in Sweden it would make sense the machine was manufactured there, I bet the number of American made Singers of that class in Sweden is next to zero.