flyingpirate

Breaking needles

Hello everyone,

This is my first post!

What's happening is that i keep breaking needles on my sewing machine, Adler 69. I just got it few days ago. Right now i am learning machine sewing and till today everything was just fine. But in the last hour I've broken 5 needles and i can't figure it out why. I guess it must be plenty of reasons why a needle can break, could you tell me a few?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, flyingpirate said:

But in the last hour I've broken 5 needles and i can't figure it out why.

To get some answers you need to provide some more information. What and how thick of material are you trying to sew? What size of needle and size of thread are you using? A couple of photo's how you thread the machine from the thread spool to the needle could also be very helpful?

kgg

yep  we need pics!!!!

glenn

One way guaranteed to break needles is to "force" the material as it's feeding, or apply sideways pressure when trying to sew curves. :rolleyes2:

Edited by dikman

Is the needle hitting the needle plate? Leather too thick for the machine? 

HS

I don't think the thread or needle are an issue, since they have been set up by the distributor, which is a well known dealer here in Belgium. Neither the leather, so far i have been practicing with scraps not thicker than 2.4mm (6oz) 

I believe I may have been treading incorrectly, forgetting about the last hole on top of the needle. At least this is what happened the last time. Can't be sure what happened before. The first one was set up properly by the distributor and still snap. Any ideas? 

I will go back sewing and keep you updated

Thanks so much!

On 1/20/2023 at 1:23 AM, flyingpirate said:

I don't think the thread or needle are an issue, since they have been set up by the distributor, which is a well known dealer here in Belgium. Neither the leather, so far i have been practicing with scraps not thicker than 2.4mm 

We have to know what you are using in order to help.   Basically we don’t assume anything is set up correctly, if it came straight from the dealer or not.   It may seem strange for us to ask for specifics as well as photos, but this is how experienced people troubleshoot things like this.   95% chance it’s operator error or an error on the distributors part on how he’s set things up.

Edited by DonInReno