Sign in to follow this  
ArkieNewbie

Handmade Stamp Handle

As I've mentioned here before, I work at a steel mill. I work in the office but interact with our shop guys a good bit. The supervisor of our roll shop is a mechanical genius! He was in my office one day and I mentioned I needed a good handle for my 3-d stamps. And he asked me to bring one in and he'd make me handle for it. 

I know what you're thinking, why not just buy a hefty handle from one of the big box stores for $15+shipping. Well, mostly because that wouldn't be as cool. Custom made is ALWAYS better than mass produced. I feel like that's kind of the mantra of the leatherworker right?!?! 

Anyways, he brought it by to me today and I am just blown away! He used a good tool steel, it was turned on a CNC lathe, and smoothed out to perfection. The narrowed section fits perfectly in the web of my hand and the length below it is just long enough so i can get a full grip above where the stamp slides in. I weighed this thing and it comes in at 1 1/2 pounds!! I cannot wait to get home and try this thing out! 

Only thing to NOT do is drop it on my foot :rofl:

Stamp Tool 1.jpg

Stamp Tool 2.jpg

Stamp Tool 3.jpg

Stamp Tool 4.jpg

I'm drooling!! but steel toed shoes for leather work ? LOL that thing rocks!!!!

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

I'm drooling!! but steel toed shoes for leather work ? LOL that thing rocks!!!!

Thanks Chuck! It's sitting on my desk right now. I keep picking it up every few minutes. It just feels right in the hand.