Brokenolmarine

Anyone Recommend Good Pattern Books

I bought the ones from Tandy, and they recommended the Stohlman books, a couple others.  To be truthful, the quality of the patterns in many of the "Old Standards" were less than impressive.  The books I bought from Tandy had patterns that were .... disappointing.  The quality of the design was not what I expected and the reproductions were often blurred, like it was the tenth printing off the original.

I'm looking for Carving Patterns for Oak Leaves and Acorns, Belt Patterns and the like that someone of intermediate talent can build on and up to.  Suggestions?

Thanks.

I've gotten some really nice directions and patterns from 23+

https://twentythreeplus.com/

Joe Melling is a really great teacher on his youtube if you want to check him out. 

Also you should check out Don Gonzales

https://dgsaddlery.com/

He has a really good youtube channel too.  Really a salt of the earth kind of guy. 

Happy Leatherizing!

~JL

Edited by JayEhl
adding more

I learned a lot from both those guys.  The hard copies of Joe's books are rather steep, have you seen them?  If they are quality I'll spend the money.

I have just finished the Thumbhole sling from Don's pattern, but didn't like the Oakleaf and acorn pattern included.  The others were okay. :spoton:

If I don't find another source, I'll likely buy at least one pattern book from 23+, the one with the oakleaf and acorn belt pattern.

thanks....

One method i use is to pick and choose parts of several  pattern designs to make my own new design.  Take a leaf from one pattern  then the flower from another  until you have something that fits. I scan and print the different designs then cut out whatever pieces i want and position them into my new design then  rescan it to make the new design tracing copy.

I am pretty sure it's out of print but The "Lucky Eight Belt Book" of old Had some nice oak leaf patterns. A copy might be found from one of the many internet used book dealers. 

I do as Chuck does with a lot of patterns. Make your own with no to little drawing.

Thanks everyone for the advice.  I'll certainly be investing in the 23+ books, one here, one there until I have them.  HIS videos have taught me a lot over the last year.  Several others as well.  I'll look for that Belt book too.  You can't have too many references.

:nono:

I got all three of Joe Meling's books in this week.  I started a practice plate yesterday and worked on it again today.  The practice plate is basically the upper half of the carving area for the Thumbhole Sling.  I adapted one of the Oak Leaf patterns from one of Joe's books to fit the area I have.  I'll finish this plate and if I'm satisfied, I'll use this template on the sling.  If necessary, I'll do another practice plate or perhaps put a little more wiggle in the design. :rolleyes:

The first day I got the design cut in and did some basic tooling.

1169689894_01practicepanel.thumb.jpg.8fb73e8ce0043d744fc53d6b479d875c.jpg

I went out this morning and did a bit more tooling, adding detail and lifting on the edges, then dying the background and the various components of the pattern.  I used a detail brush and my opti-visor.

I am pretty happy so far.  Tomorrow I'll put on a resistor coat  and dye the outside edges black, which will be the color of the sling itself.  If it dries in time I can antique and see how it looks.

1183904940_02practicepanel2.thumb.jpg.c385c8d9b1a30be736d461a174d37d20.jpg

I am getting better at achieving the 3D look I am shooting for. :whistle:

Note: That bottom leaf in the bottom pic is MY error not an error in Joe's pattern.

Third Session.

Went out and corrected my pattern error, touched up some of the background dark brown, added a second coat of light brown since the first coat faded almost natural again.  Then dyed the edges black to see how the sling was going to look in black.  Finally I added the resist coat, using tan coat and went back inside to allow it all to dry.  I'll think about sneaking out to antique it this evening if the Ms. will allow it.  It's 20 degrees out and we are in the middle of a winter storm.

1831865381_03thirdsession.thumb.jpg.9a95c891646ce8be99aa24e191df7b78.jpg

1293979927_05practicepiecedone.thumb.jpg.7a3ab53f309569680ee165b559c9813b.jpg

Finished the practice piece.  I'm happy with it.  Will start on my sling. :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Brokenolmarine said:

1293979927_05practicepiecedone.thumb.jpg.7a3ab53f309569680ee165b559c9813b.jpg

Finished the practice piece.  I'm happy with it.  Will start on my sling. :thumbsup:

Make sure to post pics when done.  I did order the pattern pack, but have about 6-10 other projects in front of it.

On 1/29/2023 at 8:42 PM, Brokenolmarine said:

The first day I got the design cut in and did some basic tooling.

Let the leather dry out some more before beginnin', Boss ;)

16 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Let the leather dry out some more before beginnin', Boss ;)

I'll try that, but I think I'm not getting it wet enough to start with, then letting it dry more.  Sometimes the stamps, or beveling just don't go very deep.  I think that just comes with experience.

:rolleyes2:

13 hours ago, TomE said:

I give it a closer look and see if I want to add it to the library next go round.  You can never have too many references.