Redbeeerd

Meisi Superfine waxed linene thread

Heya!

I'm using Amann Serafil (and Serabond when I can get my hands on it), but I have read good things about Meisi Superfine. What would be the benefits of using one over the other? I have a hard time seeing linen thread outperforming Serafil/Serabond in pretty much any area, but most of the time thats not super important (at least not to me). Does Meisi look/feel better? Any opinions?

I'm not sure I understand your point. The only threads I use are linen and sometimes hemp. I refuse to us synthetic threads for my handmade leather goods. 

Just my personal choice, but I don't use paint or varnish on my wood projects either.

Just now, tsunkasapa said:

I'm not sure I understand your point. The only threads I use are linen and sometimes hemp. I refuse to us synthetic threads for my handmade leather goods. 

Just my personal choice, but I don't use paint or varnish on my wood projects either.

I think you answered my question, or gave me one answer: I bet there are as many as there are people here and I'd love to hear them :lol:

A lot of people who have used Fil au Chinois thread have complained about the quality going down and a large number of them have switched to Meisi Superfine for it's better quality control.  And then there's Meisi Xiange which is a polyester thread that's gaining in popularity because the colors look like those of linen thread.  I've used Meisi Xiange but I prefer Vinymo MBT.

10 hours ago, Redbeeerd said:

Heya!

I'm using Amann Serafil (and Serabond when I can get my hands on it), but I have read good things about Meisi Superfine. What would be the benefits of using one over the other? I have a hard time seeing linen thread outperforming Serafil/Serabond in pretty much any area, but most of the time thats not super important (at least not to me). Does Meisi look/feel better? Any opinions?

Hi, I see you are from Sweden. I haven't used Serafil, but I have ordered other things from Colliniatomi, and they have good prices on that thread, and a lot of colors. 

https://www.colliniatomi.it/en/production-materials/threads.html

Do you use machine or handstitch? If you stitch by hand doesn't Serafil unravel?

Serafil will be way more durable than Meisi superfine linen, the reason to choose linen thread is because of the look. 

I hand stitch and I used linen thread before (FAC and Meisi linen) but I had to restitch wallets and card holders after around 2 years if someone had them in their jeans pocket. I have found the thread that suit me very well. Meisi Xiange twist (It's a polyester thread, but doesn't have that typical synthetic look) Keep in mind there are two versions of Xiange, twist and braid, braid have a different look.

Maybe you have seen it already, but Meisi also sell inside EU (So no import duties) http://meisi108.eu/

When I did contact them on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/meisi108/ a couple of years back they did send free samples of their threads. A couple of full spools, like Meisi superfine, Xiange twist, and some other spools, and also a lot of small samples in like 5 meter. And one color catalogue with thread samples in different weights. (I don't know if they ship this from EU or China, but at the time you had to pay for shipping only.

Ps, look through my posts and try to see which thread I used. I have only used FAC 632 linen, Meisi linen and Meisi Xiange twist. 

Edited by Danne

36 minutes ago, Danne said:

Maybe you have seen it already, but Meisi also sell inside EU (So no import duties) http://meisi108.eu/

Ha - they are in Germany - never heard of them before but worth checking their inventory!

Thanks for the link :)

2 hours ago, Danne said:

Hi, I see you are from Sweden. I haven't used Serafil, but I have ordered other things from Colliniatomi, and they have good prices on that thread, and a lot of colors. 

https://www.colliniatomi.it/en/production-materials/threads.html

Do you use machine or handstitch? If you stitch by hand doesn't Serafil unravel?

Serafil will be way more durable than Meisi superfine linen, the reason to choose linen thread is because of the look. 

I hand stitch and I used linen thread before (FAC and Meisi linen) but I had to restitch wallets and card holders after around 2 years if someone had them in their jeans pocket. I have found the thread that suit me very well. Meisi Xiange twist (It's a polyester thread, but doesn't have that typical synthetic look) Keep in mind there are two versions of Xiange, twist and braid, braid have a different look.

When I did contact them on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/meisi108/ a couple of years back they did send free samples of their threads. A couple of full spools, like Meisi superfine, Xiange twist, and some other spools, and also a lot of small samples in like 5 meter. And one color catalogue with thread samples in different weights. (I don't know if they ship this from EU or China, but at the time you had to pay for shipping only.

Ps, look through my posts and try to see which thread I used. I have only used FAC 632 linen, Meisi linen and Meisi Xiange twist. 

Excellent info, thanks!

I have found that if I wax the Serafil liberally it doesn't unravel. Serabond is awesome since it doesn't unravel but since it's bonded it gives a plastic look if you look closely.

I'll check your work and see if I can discern the different threads!

14 hours ago, Redbeeerd said:

Heya!

Waxed linen thread lasts a long time although I've seen it rotted in 40 yr old stirrup leathers.  I'm guessing you're not making items that will be subject to heavy wear and outdoor weather.  I use bonded nylon thread for almost all the tack I make, sewn by hand or machine.  Color isn't a factor for me - English tack has thread that is chestnut, black, or natural/linen color.  I think the stitch length, and using an awl, are the biggest factors affecting the look of the stitching.  I do a lot of hand sewing with #207 nylon at 9-10 stitches per inch.  

40 minutes ago, TomE said:

Waxed linen thread lasts a long time although I've seen it rotted in 40 yr old stirrup leathers.  I'm guessing you're not making items that will be subject to heavy wear and outdoor weather.  I use bonded nylon thread for almost all the tack I make, sewn by hand or machine.  Color isn't a factor for me - English tack has thread that is chestnut, black, or natural/linen color.  I think the stitch length, and using an awl, are the biggest factors affecting the look of the stitching.  I do a lot of hand sewing with #207 nylon at 9-10 stitches per inch.  

That kind of knowledge is fundamental even for a hobbyist: you never know where you end up and if I would find myself making that kind of stuff some day I would have that advice somewhere in the back of my head.

I have a goal of making a pair of rugged boots some day, so even if I'm just making simple things now I will know that I probably should stay away from linen thread in that case.