Time to show off what I've been working on. I have a baby coming along in a couple of months and I wanted a little something more manly than your standard diaper bag, so I decided to make a messenger bag. Here is the work in progress. It is all hand-stitched and my fingers are getting very sore from pulling thread! It has an open pocket sewn onto the back. I'm still working on adding the stitch detail in the straps and I have to make the shoulder pad still too. The leather is 5-6 ounce veg-tan calfskin. The strap is 8-9 ounce. The strap is actually two pieces joined by a buckle mid-chest. This way I can adjust the length of the strap if my wife wants to carry it.The rectangular "box" with the snaps on the back is actually a snap-in compartment that fits inside the bag. It snaps in so I can remove it if necessary. It's made to fit a baby bottle. I'm going to make a second one of a different size for my wallet and keys so they don't get lost under diapers and junk. The entire bag will be stained like the small snap-in compartment. I like it to look very weathered and worn out... sort of Indiana Jones style!The celtic knot disc is the first thing I ever tooled like a year ago. I like it alot and to show it off I am going to stitch it to the front flap of the bag. I was going to just tool something right onto the bag flap but I think a sewn on piece kind of adds another nice element to the bag. It is about eight inches in diameter. The whole bag is 15x11x4 inches.Thanks for looking! Any feedback is greatly appreciated.-Andy

bag1.jpg

bag2.jpg

bag3.jpg

bag4.jpg

bag5.jpg

bag9.jpg

post-8183-1231956829_thumb.jpg

post-8183-1231956846_thumb.jpg

post-8183-1231956857_thumb.jpg

post-8183-1231956865_thumb.jpg

post-8183-1231956951_thumb.jpg

post-8183-1231956956_thumb.jpg

Edited by AndyL1

Thanks Alex! Here's another photo of the bag open.

-Andy

bag11.jpg

post-8183-1231957953_thumb.jpg

The whole bag is 15x11x4 inches.Thanks for looking! Any feedback is greatly appreciated.-Andy

You really ARE new to this baby thing aren't ya? :lol: Quadruple those measurements and ya just might have enough room for all the "stuff" you'll be luggin along ;)

Looks good guy - and congrats!

Rob (btdt too many times ;0)

Looks fantastic what oz leather did you use.

Josh

LOL! you hand stitched all that! <------instant RESPECT.

Looks great! cant wait to see the finished prod. too....

:guitar::banana::guitar:

Looks fantastic what oz leather did you use.

Josh

Thanks josh! I used 5-6oz for the bag and like 8-9oz for the strap. And Greybeard, YEP! All hand stitched. The hardest part was doing the corners on the backside. Three layers of heavy leather and making sure the holes lined up right, plus it's got two rows of stitching so I had to do it all twice. I've broken four needles so far. I like doing this stuff for some weird reason though. It's pretty relaxing to me. I am a Graphic Designer by day so anything that gets me to unplug and away from the computer is great. Nice and LOW-TECH! I do use my computer for making patterns and tooling designs though. That makes things way easier.

You really ARE new to this baby thing aren't ya? :lol: Quadruple those measurements and ya just might have enough room for all the "stuff" you'll be luggin along ;)

As an ex-single parent, I'm a tad concerned that you haven't even come close to the size of bag you will need for a day out... I'm not going to go into the details but that lovely natural coloured leather and white stitching may come to grief too.. Great job though and, as I thought that was machine stitching, I have to say you have my respect too.

One suggestion - make yourself a nice waterproof bag and stitch that inside somewhere to keep the icky stuff from the rest... have fun - kids are great but I prefer 'em when they stop having a loud noise at one end and a complete lack of responsibility at the other!

As an ex-single parent, I'm a tad concerned that you haven't even come close to the size of bag you will need for a day out... I'm not going to go into the details but that lovely natural coloured leather and white stitching may come to grief too.. Great job though and, as I thought that was machine stitching, I have to say you have my respect too.

One suggestion - make yourself a nice waterproof bag and stitch that inside somewhere to keep the icky stuff from the rest... have fun - kids are great but I prefer 'em when they stop having a loud noise at one end and a complete lack of responsibility at the other!

HAHA! You guys are scaring me! The good thing is my wife can use the babybag we got from her sister to pack more stuff into. I'll keep mine limited to just the essential for a quick outing.

Which end is which? I've been known to having both of those things coming out of both of mine from time to time. HAHA!

That is really classy, and great work!

Don't let 'em scare you. This is what you pack....I'm speaking from experience not too long ago (my son is 4 now):

2 diapers

wipes (you can get a slim container to put these in, so you don't have to carry alot)

bottle/sippy

change of clothes (esp. pants)

That's really all you need. I would sometimes add a toy (if I was going somewhere like out to dinner with him), those scented bags you can dispose of diapers in, and some washclothes (for covering you-know-where when changing a boy)

Very nice! Use this bag for now , start on a larger one, and keep this one for your baby's college bookbag. I really do like it. My 2 oldest are in college now, the oldest wants a bookbag. The younger of the two does leatherwork( way better than mine) and can make her own!

I was gonna say what wildrose said. I raised both my boys (stay at home dad since the first was born), and while we had large bags, it didn't take long for me to slim down what I took with me/us. Your bag will hold plenty for any common outing. You might need more for a vacation, but just to go shopping or to the park or whatever, that's plenty. And yes... definitely include a toy in there. ;-)

HAHA! You guys are scaring me! The good thing is my wife can use the babybag we got from her sister to pack more stuff into. I'll keep mine limited to just the essential for a quick outing.

Which end is which? I've been known to having both of those things coming out of both of mine from time to time. HAHA!

I believe you've got it right...it does come out of both ends!

The bag looks very nice, and the hand stiching is wonderful.

Andy,

First, congrats on the baby. Awesome times to come. My son and I do leather together sometimes and he's only 3.

Second, Great looking bag. I love when others make bags cause I totally love bags. This one is awesome and all i can say is that since I'm a fan of tooling You could have done some tooling on the lid. Other than that this bag is bad ass. Props on the hand stitching. I do all hand stitching and know the pains.

:deadsubject:

Looks good guy - and congrats!

Rob (btdt too many times ;0)

LOL - I am also NEW to the baby thing - we are due in four weeks. Your comment reminds me of the time I made a doggie carrier for a famous pool player. I had never made on before and didn't have a dog to measure and this was all pre-internet ca. 1993 :-)

Long story short I made what could be considered a portable palace for the dog as it was about four times too big. The pool player and his wife used it as a travel bag for a while but it was way to big for the dog.

I will probably end up making a baby holder/sling (don't know the official term) so I can carry the baby hands-free.

First congrats on the baby, enjoy as much as you can because in no time they will be asking to borrow the car!!

Great job on the bag and lots of respect for the hand stitching, I will be doing something similar soon and it will be hand stitched (not looking forward to that part, lol)! I hope mine turns out as nice as yours did!

First congrats on the baby, enjoy as much as you can because in no time they will be asking to borrow the car!!

Great job on the bag and lots of respect for the hand stitching, I will be doing something similar soon and it will be hand stitched (not looking forward to that part, lol)! I hope mine turns out as nice as yours did!

Thanks everybody for digging my bag. Some of the guys here at work tease me cause they call it my "nice purse"! HAHA! The hand-stitching is really a necessity. I don't own a machine and I'm not quite sure I'd know how to use one if I did. I'd rather do the hand stitch method anyway as there is something really satisfying about making things with your hands. I'm sure a lot of you guys and girls would agree to that! :cheers:

I think I'll be able to stain it this weekend. I'll post more pics then.

I will probably end up making a baby holder/sling (don't know the official term) so I can carry the baby hands-free.

There are lots of versions of baby carriers, from all over the world, but I've never seen one made out of leather. There are lots of patterns for baby-wearing systems here. A couple of my friends use ring slings when the child is an infant and mei tais when the kid is older. They all said that being able to adjust the width of the straps and the position of the baby was key to comfort for both the parent and the baby.

GREAT job. im fairly new to leather work. Been doing it for about a year now. I love that you did all the stitching by hand, I do that and it is hard, but so worth it. I've been wanting to make a messanger bag ever seince I started with leather work and im courious if you could send my a patter so that i could make my own. If you could just send me a message with it that would be great.

Edited by ajanderson

GREAT job. im fairly new to leather work. Been doing it for about a year now. I love that you did all the stitching by hand, I do that and it is hard, but so worth it. I've been wanting to make a messanger bag ever seince I started with leather work and im courious if you could send my a patter so that i could make my own. If you could just send me a message with it that would be great.

Thanks AJ! Yeah the stitching can get pretty tedious. For me it's really not hard it's just that it can get pretty boring. I did a double stitch on the bag too so twice the work. Also in the shoulder strap. I didn't really make a pattern, just sketched out what I wanted in my sketchbook and took it apart from there. I can PM you the measurements for the pieces though.

I've included some photos of the finished bag. I wanted it to look really rough and distressed. Tandy antique stain first to get in all the nooks and crannies, then used a semi-dry sponge to blot on some more permanent black stain. Finished off with Tandy's All-In-One mahogony.

bag12.jpg

bag13.jpg

bag14.jpg

bag15.jpg

post-8183-1233597202_thumb.jpg

post-8183-1233597209_thumb.jpg

post-8183-1233597222_thumb.jpg

post-8183-1233597231_thumb.jpg

Nothing cuter than a dad with a manbag! I think my husband is too embarrassed to carry a bag now since it's not really a necessity, but I bet he will be on this when we have kids lol.

It looks good!! congrats.

Nice looking Man Bag.............

Came out great! Looks tough.

Art

I wonder if I ever get to this level of leatherwork competency. Thanks for sharing. :cheers:

Edited by Patina

:guitar: Papa's got a brand new bag! :guitar:

Hand stitched? Get a bloody sewing machine, you loony!

Seriously, great job mate.

Love the colours.

Cheers,

Badger