Sign in to follow this  
MainiacMatt

using a cylinder arm for flat bed work

Me again... researching my first industrial machine, with an emphasis on leather upholstery work (piped seams, French seams, zippers, etc...).

Is sewing flat work on a cylinder arm machine with a well designed and large table attachment just the same as sewing on a flat bed?  Or is is frustrating?

I do machine design at work and a quite a bit of woodworking, and have access to a CNC router, so making a large, close fitting top is within my capabilities.  But I've never sewn on a cylinder arm machine, so i don't know if there are other problems or hinderances using one for sewing panels and seams on cushions.

Thanks in advance for all the help,

Matt

Edited by MainiacMatt

45 minutes ago, MainiacMatt said:

Is sewing flat work on a cylinder arm machine with a well designed and large table attachment just the same as sewing on a flat bed? 

Close. In some cases it is easier on the cylinder bed machine. With large heavy table top attachments you are probably going to have to attach it to the existing table so leave some clearance around the cylinder arm since the sewing machine has some natural movement / vibrations during sewing.

kgg