LvxLeather

Corner Stitches not tight

I am new to using sewing machines and have an issue with corners not being held tight. I'm assuming it's a tension issue possibly but I'm not sure. I figured someone here will know exactly what the problem is. I'm using a Cobra Class 26 cylinder arm machine, 138 thread, 24 needle. 20230122_143412(1).jpg.3c54bea6143f2ac8f47a417ba6d28923.jpg

I may be wrong . . . but from what I'm seeing . . . your needle is way too large . . . and if this is the top . . . your bobbin thread needs tightened . . . if this is the underside . . . your top thread is loose.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Make your turns after the needle has risen about a 1/4".  Don't lift the presser foot so far that it releases the thread tension.  And of course look at the above post. 

Thanks for the advice fellas.

I know I’m late to this thread. :lol:

I agree with Dewight. 
Needle/thread don’t match. And your thread tension, appears way to loose.

I will add. I loved my cobra 4 for many years. Sewed many , many items on it. Great and small.

And I learned to do corners the hard way. I broke a lot of needles trying to turn 90* while under power.

So I started always slowing to a stop and then hand turned the power wheel( where the pulley belt is).

At the 90* corner, I let the needle drive itself into the leather, and then I would stop.

So, before the needle would start to rise., turn the  power wheel by hand until you just see the slightest up movement in the needle as it starts to rise.

press the presser foot peddle down and when the presser foot rises, rotate your leather into the direction you wish to continue sewing.
then foot off the presser foot pedal, and foot on the power pedal, and away you go.

I hope this helps some.

Joel

Edited by GrampaJoel

On 2/12/2023 at 4:01 PM, GrampaJoel said:

So, before the needle would start to rise., turn the  power wheel by hand until you just see the slightest up movement in the needle as it starts to rise.

The best and kind of rule of thumb way is you have to at a minimum raise the needle up at least a quarter of the way from bdc so the stitch is completed otherwise at the bottom the thread will twist when you rotate it  and miss the bobbin and skip a stitch.

As Burkhardt says above.  If the hook doesn't catch the loop, you have a skipped stitch.  So the loop has to be properly formed, and not interrupted by any twisting, turning, or any other action until the loop is caught.

See this post for example.