bmedlin

Gunbelt and holster

I am planning a gun belt and holster build. I want to use the same 10-12 ounce veg tan (because I have enough to do it) for holster and belt. Lining I have heard a lot different opinions so was wondering if I could use 2-3 ounce veg tan or is there another weight /type  I should use.

I am also planning out the bullet loops and am going to weave 3/4 inch latigo strap and was wondering if there is possibly a distance .357 that I should make my pattern. I have seen 3/4 inch between oblong slots but wanted to get opinions.

I don't recall where I first saw the design for my bullet loops . . . but I liked doing them this way . . . have sewn them on before . . . and really don't like it.

I cannot tell you the space for .357 . . . but you can figure it out very easily . . . take a micrometer . . . measure the width of the casing . . . plus two thicknesses of your leather.  I can tell you for sure that 3/4 of an inch is far to wide for that size cartridge . . . in my personal opinion . . . in order to make it really look right.

That measurement is the distance center to center of your slots you punch in the leather belt.  When you find the punch you want to use . . . cut your leather for the loops to be a fat 1/16 of an inch wider . . . and wet your leather.  Rivet it at one end . . . start looping . . . pull each one tight . . . leave the bullet in there for at least 15 minutes . . . then take them all out and let the leather dry. 

Make sure you rivet the other end as well.

Laying flat on a work bench or table . . . the sides of each round will touch . . . but when it gets slung on the human body . . . which is slightly rounded . . . they move slightly away from each other and it works out really well.

The originator . . . said to use 5/6 oz calf leather if you could get it . . . I find it hard to come by so I just use veg tan leather.

These are my note pieces I use to refresh my memory when I have another one to do.

Oh . . . and yes . . . 2/3 oz for the lining is good . . . 4 or even 5 oz would work . . . just use which ever you have.  I cut the outside piece . . . leaving it 1/8 to 1/4 inch too big all the way around . . . use it for the inside lining pattern . . . cut em both . . . cement them together with contact cement . . . . get it all right good and wet . . . and make the shape of the holster by putting the gun down on the leather and bringing them together and doing a rough wet forming. . . . let that dry . . . cement and sew the edge . . . viola . . . holster.

May God bless,

Dwight

cartridge example 1.jpg

cartridge example 4.jpg

Edited by Dwight

Awesome! Thank you.

so you think 3/4 is too wide for the loops right? Would 1/2 inch be more suitable. Saw a video of someone using 3/4 is why I chose that strap. And 5/6 ounce for loops? Could I use the same 4/5 for the loops and the liner if I need to buy new want to make it cost effective.

thanks again! Have been looking at your posts for some time and always great stuff!’

And I would recommend NOT using latigo as it will cause corrosion on your cases.

I make cartridge belt slides. My 38/357 slides are 9/16 inches between slots, and the cartridge loops are 4-5 ounce. I don't rivet until formed up. I cut the strap, 90 degrees at the back end, and cut a V shape on the end that I run thru the slots. Makes things a lot easier. Wet the strap until softened, maybe 30-40 seconds. Square end goes in the first slot, fold tightly onto the slide, and hold in place with a spring clip.  As long as the slide itself is dry, a properly tensioned clip won't mark it. Push the V end back thru the slot, leaving a loop. Insert the cartridge, and pull it tight. Be sure the strap is flat against the backside of the slide, and insert the V into the next slot, and repeat. On the last slot, pull the strap tight, and cut to proper length. Apply another spring clip to hold it in place, and let dry for 10-15 minutes, and remove the cartridges. Remove the spring clips and rivet the strap ends in place. I find it easier to have the rivet holes punched before hand, when I punch the slots. Then just punch thru the existing holes into the strapping when you are ready to rivet them in place.

Thanks for the advice. . Am I wrong to say that I shouldn’t use 4/5 for the lining of the holster since it is 10/12? So 2/3 for lining and 4/5 for the loops? 

I've made really nice holsters out of back to back 7/8 and had no trouble . . . I'm wearing a double 8 oz belt sitting here . . . 16 oz total is not bad . . . in fact . . .  once it is properly formed . . . the holster is really tough.

This is my personal rig . . . almost 20 years old . . . double 7/8 for the holster and the belt.

Still fits too . . . lol

May God bless,

Dwight

my rig small.jpg